Senior Software Engineer
Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Groups:
Individual Investor – building products like Morningstar.com and mobile apps for individuals like yourself
Institutional Investor – developing some of our flagship products like Morningstar Direct for institutional investors and our Advisor products for financial advisors
Workplace – this is where we build and provide our hosted digital advice platform for Retirement plans, 401K’s, etc. (what some call robo-advisors)
Data – this is the heart of Morningstar where all data is sourced, collected, transformed, calculated and distributed across the world
As a Lead Site Reliability (SRE)/DevOps Engineer, you will be responsible for the availability, automation, performance, efficiency, scaling, monitoring and emergency response of operating systems. You use your deep understanding of platforms, architecture, people, systems, and processes to both establish and continuously improve SLIs and SLOs for uptime, performance, deployment, monitoring, and troubleshooting. You are interested in setting direction and leading the day to day processes that shape our vision for reliability.
Day To Day
* Define requirements and develop tools and reporting as needed by projects and operations.
* Collaborate with multiple software development teams globally to provide, and iterate on, an enterprise scale public cloud CI/CD platform
* Work in a diverse technical environment to establish, advocate, and provide patterns for the CI/CD platform
* Work with products to define application hardening and define opportunities for chaos engineering.
* Use operational tools and monitoring platforms to gain in-depth knowledge, understanding, and ongoing monitoring of system availability, performance, and capacity.
* Work with business partners to establish Service Level Indicators and Objectives (SLIs and SLOs)
* Write and execute build/deployment scripts/tasks
* Set up and maintain software development tools spanning source control, continuous integration/delivery, code review, etc.
* Implement alerting strategy that makes alerts actionable and unique.
* Stay current on emerging technologies
* Strong knowledge of build, release, and configuration management practices
* AWS working experience and/or certification(s) is a plus
* Passionate about staying current on trends and best practices in software development
* Knowledge of source control tools (Git, CodeCommit, SVN, and TFS), build/release tools (Jenkins, CodeBuild, CodeDeploy, CodePipeline), and infrastructure as code tools (Terraform, CloudFormation)
* Programing experience/skills in popular languages such as Python, Java, C#, PHP, Ruby, or PowerShell, etc.
* Knowledge of monitoring tools and strategy.
* Experience running incident postmortems.
* Working knowledge of Linux and Windows
* Strong grasp of Configuration Management (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt Stack)
* Embrace collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders
Bachelor's degree or higher with previous experience in a technical support role.
You have been working in technology for 3+ year
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer