Service Reliability Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
What You’ll Do
The Service Reliability Engineer role will be responsible for the day to day performance analysis of Enterprise Payments Platform systems supporting Pulse, Discover and DCI network lines of business. They are responsible for supporting the provisioning, availability, performance, and end to end customer experience for these systems, as well as system roadmap planning, and release management. They are subject matter experts on performance, analytical initiatives, and the operation of the core systems supporting the service. Responsible for solving performance problems by leveraging techniques such as optimization, process improvement, task automation, capacity models, and analytics. The Service Reliability Engineer creates reports and dashboards to closely monitor performance metrics and provide insights. They work closely with both application development teams and operations teams to deliver best in class services to DFS end customers.
The preferred candidate has high standards of accuracy when performing analysis and enjoys finding the root cause of performance issues. Enjoys working within a team in a fast paced environment and influencing the long term direction of our solutions while working with a similar minded group of people. The Capacity and Performance Management team typically involves the engagement of resources across multiple business and technical units, so a broad business/technical engagement background is highly desired.
You will love working on our team if you enjoy working directly with a team of highly skilled and motivated developers, interacting and supporting our internal and external business partners, leading your work vs. following a checklist, enjoy advocating for and driving change as well as inventing features or projects that solve a business challenge. You’ll be part of a team that specializes in using the latest leading edge cloud based technologies and best in market toolsets to provide world class solutions to challenging and emerging business needs. Each individual is responsible for promoting a risk-aware culture, ensuring adherence to efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
How You’ll Do It
Operational stability and performance
- Work with other members of their assigned value stream to ensure that in-scope applications/platforms are meeting performance and stability requirements. This includes managing major incidents to mitigation/resolution.
- Perform post-incident reviews of all major incidents and determine action items required to avoid similar issues/minimize downtime for future incidents.
Monitors and metrics:
- Work with Application Development to ensure that assigned applications/platforms have appropriate monitoring and metrics in place to appropriately measure performance and stability.
Identify functional and non-functional improvements:
- Act as the Operations representative in value stream planning and prioritize sessions to ensure that operational needs of assigned applications/platforms are addressed as needed. Hold quarterly operational performance reviews with value stream management.
Release planning and coordination:
- Work with other members of his/her assigned value stream to ensure that the production releases for their in scope applications/platforms are properly planned and coordinated. This includes Holds Change/Release implementation reviews to ensure thorough and appropriate implementation plans.
Review and sign-off/approval of change tickets for the assigned value stream:
- Represent the value stream at Change Advisory Board Meetings.
- Participate in Program Increment Planning Sessions as a liaison for Operations and Infrastructure support.
- Provide information regarding upcoming critical changes to the value stream.
- Ensure that applications/platforms in the value stream are operationally ready for production. This includes Annual Review of all SOPs/knowledge articles.
- Monitor review for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact monitoring.
- Review SOP/knowledge article for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact support documentation.
- Train Command Center and Application 1st level Support on new SOPs, knowledge articles, and any other support-related needs.
- Perform monthly capacity analysis of applications/platforms within the value stream. Create and maintain operationally focused ELK dashboards for the value stream.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer information systems, computer science, MIS, engineering, science, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in information technology, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience in Information Technology, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- 4+ years’ experience in Technology (Either Systems/Architecture, Infrastructure Services/Support, Analytics, Statistics, Modeling/Data Science or related field)
- Develops dashboards and automates reports to provide performance insights
- Completed end-to-end performance analysis that includes data gathering, analysis, ongoing scaled deliverables and presentations
- The applicant needs to be able to document solutions, processes and issues well (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and be able to present and facilitate technical discussions.
- Good communications skills to work with our business users and internal BT support teams
#LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.