Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
The Service Reliability Engineer role will be responsible for working with Discover Network business, internal infrastructure and application teams to evaluate and assess processes, products and partners, and provide technical leadership to members of Application Integration teams, delivering new Enterprise Platform solutions for Discover Network, PULSE and Diners Club International.
The Application Integration team owns the construction, integration, implementation, and critical supporting roles for Discover’s consolidated file transfer platform. Spanning ownership end to end which includes connectivity and data flows from host applications to-from all customer endpoints around the world.
The preferred candidate is one who enjoys working within a team in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment, influencing the long term direction of our solutions while working with a similar minded group of people. Our team operates very much like a startup that just happens to reside within a Fortune 300 Company.
Initiatives typically involve the engagement of resources across multiple business and technical units, so a broad business/technical engagement background is highly desired. This role will require both strategic and tactical cross-functional leadership.
What You’ll Do
- Handle responsibilities for operational stability and performance of one or more critical business services used by Discover customers and employees.
How You’ll Do It
Operational stability and performance
- Work with other members of their assigned value stream to ensure that in-scope applications/platforms are meeting performance and stability requirements. This includes managing major incidents to mitigation/resolution.
- Perform post-incident reviews of all major incidents and determine action items required to avoid similar issues/minimize downtime for future incidents.
Monitors and metrics:
- Work with Application Development to ensure that assigned applications/platforms have appropriate monitoring and metrics in place to appropriately measure performance and stability.
Identify functional and non-functional improvements:
- Act as the Operations representative in value stream planning and prioritize sessions to ensure that operational needs of assigned applications/platforms are addressed as needed. Hold quarterly operational performance reviews with value stream management.
Release planning and coordination:
- Work with other members of his/her assigned value stream to ensure that the production releases for their in scope applications/platforms are properly planned and coordinated. This includes Holds Change/Release implementation reviews to ensure thorough and appropriate implementation plans.
Review and sign-off/approval of change tickets for the assigned value stream:
- Represent the value stream at Change Advisory Board Meetings.
- Participate in Program Increment Planning Sessions as a liaison for Operations and Infrastructure support.
- Provide information regarding upcoming critical changes to the value stream.
- Ensure that applications/platforms in the value stream are operationally ready for production. This includes Annual Review of all SOPs/knowledge articles.
- Monitor review for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact monitoring.
- Review SOP/knowledge article for any new feature launch or other significant change that may impact support documentation.
- Train Command Center and Application 1st level Support on new SOPs, knowledge articles, and any other support-related needs.
- Perform monthly capacity analysis of applications/platforms within the value stream. Create and maintain operationally focused ELK dashboards for the value stream.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor's degree in business, computer information systems, computer science, MIS, engineering, science, or related field
- 2+ years of experience in information technology, or related field
- In lieu of a degree, 4+ years of experience in Information Technology, or related field
Bonus Points If You Have
- 4+ years of experience in technology, or related field
- 5+ yrs. experience working in a technology environment (preferably Agile)
- Ability to work on and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Have working knowledge Linux/UNIX and write bash/shell scripts.
- Experience with design and support of VPNs, sFTP, and Connect Direct protocols
- Understand the concepts of Continuous Delivery and Lean
- Hands on experience working with Jenkins, Gradle, Nexus, Git, Application Dynamics, and SonarQube
- Have a familiarity with Java and Python libraries and development environment
- Have a familiarity with Chef
- Familiar with cloud-based IaaS and PaaS solutions (AWS, Cloud Foundry)
- Demonstrated ability to work well in a team environment
- Proven ability to deliver high quality documentation paying attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills
- Amazing team player with a hyper focus on the customer
- Strength in adapting to a highly dynamic environment of change is needed
#LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.