Site Reliability Engineer - Returnship at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Grubhub’s Reconnect Returnship Program is a 16- week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to the individuals who have at least five years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least two years to focus on caring for a child or other dependent. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply.
If you don’t meet the above criteria for the returnship program, please don’t apply to this opportunity. Instead, check out all of our other full-time careers opportunities here. Whether you’re a current college student, recent graduate or a currently employed professional looking to join our team, there’s a role for you and we want to hear from you.
At Grubhub, we are excited to launch our Reconnect Returnship Program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other individuals transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This program is 100% virtual during the 16-week returnship program. Upon successful completion of the returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment. A full time offer will likely be based out of New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Remote, or Boston and a full-time opportunity will offer relocation package.
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
About the team
We are in need of software and service focused Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) to ensure reliable delivery of projects (and food!) for our Delivery and Restaurant Site Reliability teams. SREs in the Delivery group focus on all services related to our driver network and logistics related to delivering food. Delivery SREs oversee how our delivery partners interact with our systems to accept new assignments and deliver your food, the services (and algorithms) which dispatch work to delivery-partners to maximize efficiency while ensuring on-time deliveries, how delivery partners are paid, and so much more! SREs in the Restaurant group ensures that restaurants reliably receive and confirm orders so they can prepare food on time. Restaurant SREs oversee all systems related to restaurant information, such as operating hours and menu items, and make sure that information is up to date and reliably propagated throughout our Grubhub marketplace. Both teams help design and build complex distributed systems at an incredible, highly available, multi-datacenter, scale.
The Impact You Will Make
- Software development around scalability, availability and performance.
- Write lots of code (Java + Python) to enhance the reliability of the services in the delivery ecosystem.
- Help define, maintain, and manage service and business level Service Level Objectives (SLOs).
- Become a subject matter expert on how the platform operates (service discovery, load balancing, monitoring/metrics, et cetera).
What You Bring to the Table
- Tech-savvy and passion: You have an aptitude and eagerness to learn new and complex technologies at Grubhub.
- Strong cross-functional communication: You can explain complex technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders in a clear and concise way.
- Detail-oriented problem-solving skills: You enjoy the process of scratching beneath the surface to find the best solution to challenges.
- Curiosity and self-awareness: You’re able to articulate when you may need help and are curious enough to ask questions to gain a deeper understanding.
- Team work: You’re able to work both independently and collaboratively with the team, bringing your best to every interaction and inspiring others to do the same.
- Enthusiasm for Grubhub’s mission: You’re excited to help connect hungry diners with great, local restaurants.
- Strong computer science fundamentals from a college degree in Computer Science, a related field of study, or equivalent experience.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, Python, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
- 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
- 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
- Open to relocate to Remote, New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, or Boston at the conclusion of the program if offered Full-Time employment post-returnship.
- Experience in cloud technologies in public, private, or hybrid environments.
- A high-quality bar and a drive of continuous improvement; just-enough documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment and a preference for agile methods.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. The EEO is the Law poster is available here: DOL Poster. If you are applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]