Software Engineer, API
Since our inception in 2009, Foursquare has been a leading force in changing how location information enriches our real-world and digital lives. As a location intelligence company, Foursquare is comprised of two well-known consumer apps, Foursquare and Swarm, as well as thriving media and enterprise products. Our B2B offerings include Places (for developers), Pinpoint and Attribution (for marketers), and Place Insights (for analysts, based on the world's largest foot traffic panel). With more than 200 people across our offices in New York, San Francisco, and in sales offices around the globe, we’re dedicated to our trailblazing mission—enriching consumer experiences and informing business decisions with location intelligence.
About the API Team:
As a member of the Foursquare API team you will be working to create the best tools for fellow developers to build from Foursquare's location data and expertise. The Foursquare API powers the features from our apps Foursquare City Guide and Swarm as well as supporting the over 150,000 registered developers all over the world who are utilizing the API to bring the power of our location platform into their own apps. From building out self service tools for developers, to scaling up services to support large multinational partners, you will be working as part of a small team of cross functional skills to have a large impact.
Our team is looking for someone with experience building things; who has opinions about how to do things better that you want to share, but are also open to changing your mind. We are looking for a bright candidate with a propensity to get stuff done. You should have exposure to APIs, either consuming or creating.
About our Engineering Team:
As a member of Foursquare’s engineering team, we want you to bring experience building real products from the ground up. We're passionate about tackling tough challenges in the location space and look for others who like to dive deep into code and help solve hard problems. You should be comfortable running with your own ideas and eager to learn new skills on a bleeding edge platform. We use a variety of tools, technologies, and languages to build software (Scala, Thrift, MongoDB, Memcached, JS/jQuery, Kafka, Pants, Hadoop, MR, Spark) but experience with equivalent ones will do just fine.
- Join us and help bring our feature ideas (and your own!) off the whiteboard and into reality. Here are some high level areas you could help within our NY or SF office:
- Improve the accuracy and efficiency of one of the premier Place search APIs in existence. Our API powers Foursquare City Guide and Swarm as well as apps from Microsoft, Uber, Samsung, Twitter and more
- Leverage machine learning techniques to build systems which process and derive insights from billions of location data points every day
- Launch features that make cities easier to explore and continue to push the Foursquare City Guide and Swarm apps forward
- Build resilient services and tooling which drive all of our offline processing of petabytes of data
- 4+ years of experience in software engineering
- Solid foundation in computer science fundamentals with sound knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and design
- Bachelors Degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related field
- Experience designing and building high performance, low latency distributed systems
- Excellent problem solving and large-scale systems debugging skills
- Strong Java or other object-oriented programming experience or, even better, experience and/or interest in functional languages (we use Scala!)