Software Engineer II, Clojure at OppFi
OppFi is a leading financial technology platform that powers banks to help the everyday consumer gain access to credit. Through our unwavering commitment to customer service, OppFi helps consumers who are turned away by traditional providers build a better financial path. OppFi is an Inc. 5000 company for five straight years, a Deloitte's Technology Fast 500™, and the seventh fastest-growing Chicagoland company by Crain's Chicago Business. The company was also named on Forbes America 2021 list of America's Best Startup Employers and Built In's 2021 Best Places to Work in Chicago. We welcome individuals to join us in facilitating financial inclusion and credit access for everyday consumers to live the life they deserve.
OppFi is a team of caring, innovative, and inclusive individuals with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. Our employees approach every new challenge with an unparalleled ability to see what could be rather than settle for what is. We want people to be excited to come to work every day and know you are a part of making a difference. Our company values guide us and create an open and collaborative culture where we hold the door, say what we see, do what we say, and dare to win together!
The Clojure Backend Software Engineering team at OppFi creates and maintains cloud-based microservices that enable OppFi’s core business functions. You will develop back-end services used across our entire technology platform.
- Collaborate with a team of engineers to design, build, improve and scale our microservice portfolio, implemented primarily using Clojure, Amazon Web Services, and PostgreSQL.
- Partner with business and technical professionals to develop high-quality, resilient and scalable solutions to business problems, help implement and refine agile processes
- Contribute to architecture, design, tooling and process.
- Lead by example - we actively encourage team members to lead on a path that evolves the way we do things!
- Grow your skills and help others do the same!! Our team manages our own internal training, with budgets for classes, conferences, books, and materials.
- Mentor junior team members.
What you will bring to the team:
- 6+ years experience using one or more modern programming languages. Show us you’ve solved non-trivial engineering problems with your language and we’ll be interested in you. Our collective team background includes Clojure/Lisp, Ruby, Python, Java, Node.js, Erlang and C++; bonus if you already have some proficiency in Clojure or another functional language.
- Experience developing systems with cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure, or GCP. .
- Experience with Test-Driven Development (TDD) in an agile environment.
- Experience building Restful APIs and consuming 3rd party APIs.
- Experience working in an environment where a high degree of communication between and within teams is valued.
- An interest in learning new things, from the overall business context, to new tools and technologies, to fundamentals of good software development; and, a willingness to teach the same to others.
- An appetite for simplicity -- to deliver value quickly over time, by building things well.
Reports to: Eric Hogberg, Senior Director, Engineering
Job Level: Software Engineer II
The anticipated salary range based on qualifications and experience is $104,000-124,000 and the total compensation package includes eligibility for performance-based bonuses up to 10%, as well as a 1-time equity grant based on level
Define your career at OppFi
OppFi is committed to providing an exceptional employee experience that allows you to define your career and purpose with us. New team members go through orientation, shadow programs, a new hire lunch with our CEO, Jared Kaplan, and you can participate in different company culture events focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our team has designed programs to make you feel welcome and part of our team during your first year and beyond.
- Define the mission (days 1-30): You will understand our company mission, values, and vision, and how your role at OppFi plays a part in that.
- Define your goals (months 1-3): You will be able to understand your role expectations and identify goals with your manager and mentor(s) to fulfill those expectations.
- Define your belonging (months 3-6): You will understand OppFis’ culture and have opportunities to engage with and impact that culture. Business Resource Groups and other programs are offered to help with community connection both virtually and in-person.
- Define your journey (6 months - 1 year): You will feel confident in your abilities to execute in your role and know the next step you will take to develop your career.
Compensation and Benefits
OppFi offers a flexible remote environment, 401(k) matching program, and flexible paid vacation. Other benefits include medical benefits, dental and vision coverage, and tuition reimbursement. To support your wellness & growth, we provide monthly meditation and yoga classes and access to all LinkedIn Learning courses. We also offer Fringe, which is a lifestyle benefits platform that lets you decide how you want to spend your rewards from dozens of vendors like Uber, Doordash and Urban Sitter. Dress code is casual.
Our goal as a company is to build an equitable workplace that actively works to dismantle systems of oppression in our processes, procedures, and interactions. We aim to help our employees thrive where they work and beyond. Check out our Culture page here.
OppFi is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, OppFi will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People team at [email protected].