Software Engineer III, Embedded Motor Control at Life Fitness
An empty treadmill isn’t compelling, but once someone steps on it, the stories are limitless. Our goal is to connect people emotionally to their fitness journey. We are a global team coming from different cultures and backgrounds with a shared passion to achieve and live our mission of inspiring healthier lives.
Inspire. Innovate. Make an impact and join our team!
Responsible for the performance of professional work in research, development, design, testing, analysis, production, construction, maintenance, or operation of realtime embedded power and motion control devices. Significant latitude is given to work within the team to develop superior designs and innovative solutions as well as improve the development processes.
- Develop fitness solutions for microcontroller-based products that control hardware.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with mechanical and electrical design team members to implement state-of-the-art embedded controls.
- Work closely with Product Management to collaborate on requirements and recommended implementations.
- Provide expert guidance to project teams and participate as a key functional team member of the integrated project team.
- Design and build software to meet requirements; write and maintain clear documentation.
- Follow industry best practices - design reviews, code walk-throughs, unit and integration testing.
- Work closely with the Software Quality Assurance team to test, troubleshoot, resolve, and release production software.
- Ensure prompt response to production and customer issues.
- Apply intensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles in broad areas of assignments and related fields.
- Coordinate both within the organization and with vendors and partners, driving progress on technical matters related to product and process development.
- Assume full technical responsibility for interpreting, organizing, executing and coordinating assignments.
- Plan and execute engineering projects concerned with unique or challenging designs in support of major company initiatives.
- May supervise other engineers or consultants on specific objectives.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- 3+ years of experience developing event-driven C and/or C++ microcontroller platforms with emphasis on reliability and efficiency
- Fundamental understanding of algorithms, design patterns, developing communications protocols, and advanced math (trigonometry, geometry, calculus)
- Strong understanding of and experience with real time control systems, sampling theory, signal processing, and dynamic control.
- Experience with TI, Freescale, or similar microcontrollers and build environments
- Basic understanding of 3 phase AC power systems
- Basic understanding of brushed DC motor controls
- Knowledge of ticket management and process driven development
- Confident team player motivated by a fast-paced environment
- Ability to learn existing architecture quickly
- Strong analytical, communication, and presentation skills
OTHER DESIRED SKILLS
- Control experience for monitoring a 3 phase AC system
- Prior experience with AC induction machines
- Prior power and motion control experience
- Experience implementing field-oriented control
- Experience with sensorless field-oriented control
- Experience with direct physical I/O management including UART, SCI, SPI, GPIO, ADC & DAC, and Interrupt processing
- Experience using Linux for development
- Experience using git for version control
- Knowledge of Atlassian tools
Minimum B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related discipline
Want to take the next step in your career?
Life Fitness takes pride in our talented employees and believe in providing opportunities for further growth and advancement. We encourage you to test your strengths, push your limits and unleash your potential.
If you feel the open position you see is right for you, we invite you to apply.
Learn more about us here.
Life Fitness does not accept applications, inquiries or solicitations from unapproved staffing agencies or vendors.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled
EEO is The Law - click here for more information