Software Engineer - Platform
At Sprout Social we are building software that is made to last. Our 24,000+ customers rely on us daily to reliably connect them with their customers, so scalability and performance are top of mind. Code quality is an essential ingredient to keeping our platform flexible and rapidly reacting to changes in the market and social media networks.
We do not operate as lone wolves, cowboy coders, or “10x devs.” Instead, we’re building diverse, collaborative teams that get the best results sustainably. Platform developers work in tandem with Web developers, QA, Design, Data Science, and Product Management to drive our product and engineering initiatives to successful outcomes.
Sprout’s Growth team enables our users to understand the value of Sprout during any part of the customer lifecycle, from the first five minutes of a trial to the fifth year of being a customer. The Growth team builds systems that allow us to intelligently inform users of features that matter to them, ensures that our conversion funnels are optimized via performance tuning and A/B testing, and owns the billing systems that power Sprout’s subscription revenue model. Our team uses a variety of technologies, including Django, Java, NSQ, and MySQL.
We’re looking for a creative, collaborative, highly motivated, and inquisitive learner to build great software with us. If you’re passionate about building web applications using Python and Java, we’d love to talk with you.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members.
- Develop and deploy changes to our Java and Django production systems.
- Interact with MySQL and other data stores used at Sprout.
- Collaborate regularly with your product manager, QA engineers, and fellow developers to deliver value to our users.
- Get regular team feedback on your code through code reviews.
- Log into our remote Linux servers and monitor the status of our services.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Focus on code quality with meaningful test coverage and legibility.
- Work with your product manager and fellow developers to create and prioritize quarterly team goals.
- Contribute to our Agile culture of continuous improvement through retrospective meetings and experimentation-oriented thinking.
- Build connections with members from other teams through recurring Platform team discussions and outings. meetings with other Platform guild meetings and chapter outings.
- Attend technical design meetings with your teammates to walk through new feature ideas.
- Work with Product Managers, Front End Designers, QA, and Data Science to come up with the MVPs of new features.
- Be the first line of defense against product outages and bugs while on support duty.
- Maintain and build upon systems that handle hundreds of thousands of messages a day.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Decompose work into small, similarly sized units in order to facilitate iterative deliverables.
- Build your engineering skills by attending in-house presentations, workshops, and training sessions.
- Form a career growth plan with your manager and work towards it.
- Identify technical debt and performance bottlenecks within our systems, come up with a plan to improve the code, and get it pushed to production.
- Learn how the Growth team interacts with other departments, including Sales and Marketing.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Integrate and use monitoring and alerting tools to know about problems before our users.
- Participate in architecture discussions with senior team members.
- Be “point person” on a project, including writing design documents, coordinating dependencies, and acting as domain owner.
- Actively mitigate risk of failed delivery and missed deadlines through open, transparent communication with colleagues and stakeholders throughout a project life cycle.
- Demonstrate ownership over the codebase, from design to maintenance and everything in between.
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!