Software Engineer - Returnship, Branded Channel at Grubhub
About The Opportunity
Grubhub’s Reconnect Returnship Program is a 16- week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to the individuals who have at least five years of professional experience and have been out of the paid workforce for at least two years to focus on caring for a child or other dependent. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply.
At Grubhub, we are excited to launch our Reconnect Returnship Program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other individuals transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on caregiving transition back to the paid workforce.
This program is 100% virtual during the 16-week returnship program. Upon successful completion of the returnship, there is a possibility of an offer for full-time employment. A full time offer will likely be based out of Boston and a full-time opportunities will offer relocation package.
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
About the team
The Branded Channels Technology team within Grubhub builds the technology infrastructure that powers the large suite of branded mobile and web applications that Grubhub and third-parties produce for their restaurant partners. This platform enables client applications to place orders and deliveries across a wide network of restaurants, along with offering loyalty and rewards to their customers. We are a team of smart, highly motivated engineers that place a high value on writing well crafted, thoroughly tested, and maintainable code
The Impact You Will Make
- Help contribute to the development of the technical direction and strategy within the team and help influence technology across Grubhub.
- Assist the team in developing solutions by helping envision, design, create, and support our solutions that operate with a high degree of operational excellence.
- Partner with a cross-functional team to imagine, design, develop, test, and launch software that wows our diners, drivers, and restaurants. Be willing to explore technical needs and bring problems AND solutions to the table.
- Constantly strive to raise the bar on engineering excellence.
What You Bring to the Table
- Tech-savvy and passion: You have an aptitude and eagerness to learn new and complex technologies at Grubhub.
- Strong cross-functional communication: You can explain complex technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders in a clear and concise way.
- Detail-oriented problem-solving skills: You enjoy the process of scratching beneath the surface to find the best solution to challenges.
- Curiosity and self-awareness: You’re able to articulate when you may need help and are curious enough to ask questions to gain a deeper understanding.
- Team work: You’re able to work both independently and collaboratively with the team, bringing your best to every interaction and inspiring others to do the same.
- Enthusiasm for Grubhub’s mission: You’re excited to help connect hungry diners with great, local restaurants.
- Strong computer science fundamentals from a college degree in Computer Science, a related field of study, or equivalent experience.
- Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Ruby, Java, Python, C++, or C# including object-oriented design.
- 4+ years of non-internship professional software development experience.
- Knowledge of or experience with developing distributed systems.
- A high-quality bar and a drive of continuous improvement; just-enough documentation, unit testing, code reviews, test automation, continuous integration & deployment.
- Open to relocate to Boston at the conclusion of the program if offered Full-Time employment post-returnship.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience working in a test-driven development environment.
- Experience with event-driven architecture
- Knowledge of relational databases (Postgres preferred)
- Experience developing & consuming Restful APIs
- Experience with cloud computing services such as AWS
And Of Course, Perks!
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. From day one, we empower you to lead and be an active participant in your career growth. We provide continuous learning opportunities, training, and coaching and mentorship programs.
- MealPerks. Who’s ready for some lunch? We provide our employees with a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants. We also offer company-wide meals several times a year to bring our Grubhub family together.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives. Some of our popular past events include: Wing-eating contests, Grubtoberfest, 5k Runs, Bring Your Child to Work Day, regular happy hours, and more!
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.