Software Engineer (Ruby/Elixir)
We are dscout. At our core, we are People Nerds. We empower our customers to meet the people who matter to them in the moments that matter most. Customer-obsessed companies and agencies like Lyft, Nike, IDEO, and REI use dscout to build better products and services because of people like you. We are building a smart and driven team in our Chicago HQ, and we would love for you to join us.
We’re looking for smart, creative, driven Software Engineers to build great software with us. You've worked for multiple years in product development as an engineer, creating and launching new technologies and products. You love to write code, striving to make it better with each commit. You're familiar with cloud-based, SaaS focused modern APIs and front-ends. You are hands-on and self-directed.
At our core, the dscout platform is an Elixir application and GraphQL API (converted from a Ruby/Rails application and REST API), backed by a PostgreSQL DB, and hosted in Heroku. 8 years and 30K commits later, we've maintained a tidy code base that is well documented and battle tested from hundreds of thousands of users. Also of note: we have just released dscout Live, our video interview tool using Twilio / WebRTC / Websockets.
Product experience professionals use dscout to build, field and analyze user research with our API driven React.js app with Apollo (GraphQL). Scouts (research participants) share in-context moments from our native mobile apps on iOS and Android.
If you are excited about the challenge of building an incredible Engineering team, we are excited to hear from you!
What you will do (let’s call them Responsibilities):
- Write high-quality code that contributes to the development and launch of software features
- Active member of a cross-functional product team
- Regard GitHub, PRs, rebasing, and great commit messages as standard practice
- Participate in an agile development process (including sprints, planning and estimation sessions, user stories, retros, product releases, etc)
What you need to have (we can call them Desired Skills and Background):
- 2+ years experience as a software engineer
- Experience with Ruby or similar back end technologies; an interest in learning and using Elixir
- Familiarity with API development, React/similar JS libraries, and mobile development
- Strong written and verbal communicator
- Empathetic toward users and peers
- Agile, DevOps, TDD, and CI believer
- Plus: experience with Heroku and/or AWS
- Plus: experience with Python, Data Science/Engineering, and Machine Learning
- Plus: entrepreneurial experience in a small business or startup.
What will you get?
Here at dscout, we are a team of passionate research, sales, technical, marketing, design, success, and operations professionals. We are driven by the power of research—how in-context insights from real people can build products and services that are more people-centric. We value learning, sharing, and building. We deeply value being a diverse and inclusive team and company, and we are looking for team members who align with that belief. We are proud of what dscout is today and we are excited to build our future with you.
In addition to joining a smart and passionate team, you will get:
- A strong compensation package with bonus structure. Your success is tied to company success. We are all in this together.
- An incredible set of core benefits as well as a 401k with match, solid PTO policy, and generous company holidays. We are committed to helping build your future.
- Exposure to the inner workings of a growing company. And open, transparent communication within our team. You will know what is happening and why it matters.
- An education stipend. Keep learning and sharpening your skills.
- A beautiful River North workspace, in the heart of lots of places to eat, drink, and play.
- Plenty of snacks, drinks, and caffeine to keep you powered throughout the day, and a weekly happy hour to relax with the team.