SOFTWARE ENGINEER at Caterpillar
At Caterpillar, you are part of a work family that builds what matters! Come, play a pivotal role in building the next generation digital solutions that power work-sites across the world.
Cat Digital has an exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated Software Engineer in Chicago. As a Software Engineer, you will contribute to development and deployment of Caterpillar’s state-of-the-art condition monitoring product. You will be part of a fast-moving global team that will build a best-in-class product for Caterpillar dealers worldwide, to lower cost of service, and improve customer support.
JOB RELATED STATISTICS:
JOB DUTIES: Responsibilities of the incumbents are across functional lines with individuals assigned in new program development and/or maintenance of existing mobile, WEB, Cloud, server, personal computer, mainframe, and/or distributed computing systems.
1. Competent to perform all programming, project management, and development assignments without close supervision; normally assigned the more complex aspects of systems work.
2. Works directly on complex application/technical problem identification and resolution, including responding to off-shift and weekend support calls.
3. Works independently on complex systems or infrastructure components that may be used by one or more applications or systems.
4. Drives application development focused around delivering business valuable features
5. Maintains high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and habits
6. Identifies and encourage areas for growth and improvement within the team
7. Communicate with end users and internal customers to help direct development, debugging, and testing of application software for accuracy, integrity, interoperability, and completeness
8. Performs integrated testing and customer acceptance testing of components that requires careful planning and execution to ensure timely, quality results.
9. Employee is also responsible for performing other job duties as assigned by Caterpillar management from time to time.
The position manages the completion of its own work assignments and coordinates work with others. Based on past experiences and knowledge, the incumbent normally works independently with minimal management input and review of end results.
Typical customers include Caterpillar customers, dealers, other external companies who purchase services offered by Caterpillar as well as internal business unit and/or service center groups. The position is challenged to quickly and correctly identify problems that may not be obvious. The incumbent solves problems by determining the best course of action, within departmental guidelines, from many existing solutions. The incumbent sets priorities and establishes a work plan in order to complete broadly defined assignments and achieve desired results. The position participates in brainstorming sessions focused on developing new approaches to meeting quality goals in the measure(s) stated.
• A 4-year degree from an accredited college or university degree
• 3+ of experience in designing and developing software applications in Java or at least one
year of experience in Java with master’s degree.
Top candidates will also have:
• A Degree in Computer science or Electrical engineering or related field
• Proven experience in some of the following,
o Designing, developing, deploying and maintaining software at scale.
o Developing software applications using relational and Nosql databases.
o Application architectural patterns, such as MVC, Microservices, Event-driven, etc.
o Deploying software using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, GoCD, Azure Devops etc.
o Deploying and maintaining software using public clouds such as AWS or Azure.
o Working within an Agile framework (ideally Scrum)
• Strong understanding and/or experience in some of the following,
o Batch or stream processing systems such as Apache Spark, Flink, Akka, Storm
o Message brokers such as Kafka, Rabbitmq, AWS SQS, AWS SNS, Apache ActiveMQ,
o Experience designing well-defined Restful APIs
o Experience writing API proxies on platforms such as Apigee Edge, AWS API Gateway or
Azure API Gateway
o Hands one experience with API tools such as Swagger, Postman and Assertible
o Test driven development and behavior driven development.
o Hands on experience with testing tools such as Selenium and Cucumber and their integration
into CI/CD pipelines.
o Datastores such as MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, Oracle.
• Must demonstrate solid knowledge of computer science fundamentals like data structures and
• Ability to work under pressure and within time constraints
• Passion for technology and an eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment