About the Role
The engineering team is fast-paced, loves to collaborate, and is relentlessly focused on value delivery.
We strongly believe in following principles:
- Keep it simple. We don't over-engineer our products, services, or processes. Simpler is easier to understand, build upon, and maintain.
- All for one. We win by winning together as team. Team productivity over individual productivity. We go out of our way to help each other.
- Ship It. We're all makers/builders. We believe in finishing, delivering, then iterating.
- You will be reporting to Andrew Tcherepanov of the Credit Delivery Team. The Credit delivery team is based in Toronto and Mumbai and ultimately repots to Andrew Collyer, Head of Technology in Credit Ratings.
- The Credit Delivery Team is responsible for all documents and ratings external distribution. This includes: dbrsmorningstar.com, DBRSConnect, RatingsNow, Cpdata, RatingsDisclosure, various datafeeds and other internal applications.
As a software engineer, you will be working in an agile cross-functional product development team improving and supporting systems already in place that drive our business as well as building new features/systems/products to deliver value. You will be exposed to all aspects of product development: design of user experience, system architecture, database design, frontend and backend software development, code reviews, automated testing, automated infrastructure, systems monitoring, and support.
We have a can-do attitude and we all show willingness to take ownership of projects to get them across the finish line. We are passionate about keeping our systems modern, reusable, and maintainable.
You'll be shaping the future of financial research and helping to make DBRS Morningstar a technology-first environment.
- Enjoys working in a collaborative team: whiteboarding sessions, pair programming, and code reviews.
- Experience with at least one modern web application framework. We use Angular/AngularJS.
- Strong proficiency with building and consuming RESTful APIs. Here is our APIs: https://www.dbrsmorningstar.com/dev
- Experience with design and optimization of databases, preferably both relational and NoSQL varieties. We use MySql, Postgres, Elasticsearch and dynamodb.
- Knowledge of computer science and Internet fundamentals: design patterns, data structures, algorithms, networking.
- Has good engineering practices: clean, readable, understandable code.
Nice to have
- Experience designing Microservices or serverless applications.
- Experience with automated infrastructure configurations and orchestration. We use Terraform, Ansible, Docker, Jenkins, serverless.
- Exposure to administering Linux servers.
- Experience working in an agile team. We use Kanban/Scrumban.
- Experience building applications on cloud infrastructure. We use AWS.
- Understanding of what it takes to architect a highly available and secure system
- Experience with message/queue systems
DBRS Morningstar is a global credit ratings business, currently with 700 employees in eight offices globally. Formed through the July 2019 acquisition of DBRS by Morningstar, Inc., the ratings business is the fourth-largest provider of credit ratings in the world.
DBRS Morningstar is committed to empowering investor success, serving the market through leading-edge technology and raising the bar for the industry. DBRS Morningstar is a market leader in Canada, the U.S. and Europe in multiple asset classes.
DBRS Morningstar rates more than 2,600 issuers and 54,000 securities worldwide and is driven to bringing more clarity, diversity of opinion, and responsiveness to the ratings process. DBRS Morningstar’s approach and size provide the agility to respond to customers’ needs, while being large enough to provide the necessary expertise and resources.