Software Engineer at Morningstar
Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Group:
Independent Advisor Software (IAS) group offers innovative and differentiated products and services for the Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) market. Our all-in-one portfolio accounting and practice management platform, Morningstar Office supports RIA’s day-to-day activities with our billing, performance reporting, back-office services, rebalancing, and account aggregation capabilities, powered by Morningstar’s independent data and research.
We are seeking a Software Engineer with back-end experience. This position will be part of an engineering team focused on updating Morningstar’s web-based product suites. Every day, you’ll work with team members across disciplines developing products for investors. You’ll interact daily with our product managers to understand our domain and create technical solutions that push us forward. We want to work with other engineers who bring knowledge and excitement about our opportunities. This position is based in our Chicago office.
• Build well designed, well-engineered, stable, scalable products across a variety of markets
• Enforce good Agile practices (using JIRA) including test-driven development and continuous integration.
• Apply DevOps practices in area of continuous and automated deployment.
• Analyze and remediate production issues and build instrumentation and operational readiness into the systems architecture.
• Technical product ownership and responsibility to adhere to established guidelines through peer reviews for design and code, unit test results and deployment process for improving development team productivity.
• Good working experience in OO analysis & design using common design patterns
• Be passionate about quality, process, programming, and investing in general, seeing opportunities for improvement, seizing them, and then sharing your findings with others.
• Take ownership of the success of the team with a "gets things done" attitude; the ability to understand and leverage new technologies, potentially wearing many hats including business analyst, DBA, and QA.
• A bachelor's in Computer Science or related, plus 1-2 years of experience in software application development.
• 1+ years programming in Java
• Maven and Spring framework experience
• Relational database and SQL experience (PostgreSQL or other)
• Experience developing code for commercial use with attention to operational transparency of the system, performance, and concurrency
• Experience with Agile methodology and tools like JIRA.
• An understanding of how to protect web applications from common security vulnerabilities.
• Ability and willingness to work with multiple teams in different locations to achieve objectives
• Be organized and able to remain productive even when you have multiple deliverables.
Nice to have
• Experience with AWS services.
• Financial software experience