Sr Front End Engineer
Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective through the use of digital instructional resources. Partnering with more than 400 publishers and 1,900 campuses nationwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortlessly distributing those materials.
As a Senior Front End Engineer who will be responsible for leading the development of our browser-based platform. This individual will work to improve the experience of students, publishers, teachers, and bookstores by enhancing our existing Ember.js based interface. The developer will also improve the maintainability of the front-end codebase by ensuring team members adhere to best practices.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Build out new features, implement continual improvements, and reduce tech debt in our Ember.js codebase.
- Act as an advocate for our users by reviewing incoming bug reports and feature requests.
- Work with our A11y team to ensure that our platform meets accessibility requirements (WCAG 2.0, Section 508, ADA, etc).
- Work with product, accessibility, QA, and UX teams to shepherd development tasks through the SDLC process.
- Contribute directly to RedShelf’s suite of APIs by providing feedback on the request and response of existing and new endpoints.
- Actively participate in daily standups, project breakdown meetings, estimation meetings, and retrospective meetings.
- Be an advocate for best practices, development strategies, and new software packages that can advance our software platform.
- Ensure that all members of the development team are continuously improving our codebase and advancing their software development skills.
- Work with product and UX teams to take features from the idea phase to the maintenance phase.
- 5+ years of experience building front end interfaces using ES6, HTML5, and modern CSS.
- 3+ years working with complex RESTful APIs; graphQL experience is a plus.
- 3+ years working with a UX design team; Atomic Design experience is a plus.
- Proven track record of building successful front-end applications, products or platforms.
- Ability to have tough conversations
- Must be a good citizen of the company and always be willing to help in any way.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Familiarity with modern accessibility options, and experience building ADA-compliant or WCAG 2.0-compliant interfaces. Human Computer Interface experience is a plus.
- Experience working with AWS or Google Cloud.
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software and course materials.
- Development experience working within the digital publishing realm.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, growing environment where change is likely, but delivering high quality code on time is critical.
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit package, including company stock options.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.