Sr. Manager Chapter Engineering (Agile) at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
As a Sr. Manager Chapter Engineering (Agile) you will be responsible for the technical development of Agile centric staff, while using your technical expertise to drive vision into action and results. This role is a pivotal leader in our Discover Technology Academy focused on engineering standards and upskilling. If you’re a hands-on Servant Leader and technical Subject Matter Expert, keep reading!
This Senior Manager role plays a critical part in the development of their engineering team (their chapter) and will take the lead on effectively skilling, tooling and allocating engineering members to best support the needs of our collective enterprise product teams and engineers.
Investing in the development of the engineering team through coaching and leadership is part of the Discover culture. We celebrate a culture of innovation and learning which grows our technical talent and ultimately serves Discover customers with high quality, reliable products and experiences.
While coaching and development of engineers is this role’s primary responsibility, the Senior Manager will also work with their chapter lead peers to transform and implement engineering standards and upskilling for the enterprise.
This person coaches, guides and mentors one or more agile teams and their environment to improve the overall agility. Couple with that they act as a custodian of Agile practices and principles and are responsible for uplifting the complete (organizational) context in which a team is operating and create a culture of continuous learning.
Our Senior Manager communicates with stakeholders, informing them and allowing them to participate in the agile way of working, making sure (organizational) impediments are removed. They help to manage risk, and drive relentless improvements, by facilitating, coaching and guiding the teams and respective suppliers in the value streams.
This sounds exciting, but what about hand-on work with technology? Keeping your technical skills fresh is as important for engineers as it is for our chapter engineering leaders. Uniquely, chapter engineering leaders have opportunities to solve challenging and complex technical problems in a direct, hands-on way when capacity allows. At Discover, we celebrate our leaders role modeling advanced engineering practices as a way to develop both themselves, and their team members.
If you are an expert in modern engineering practices like TDD, CI/CD, Domain Driven Design, Micro services and Cloud engineering, have a passion for flexing your tech skills in solving complex problems and are skilled at developing engineering talent, apply today!
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Drives continuous improvement through ongoing inspection and adaption of the interaction and value creation of the Teams and/or (part of) the organization and helping them improve
- You'll lead and support Chapter members in a professional manner and will be responsible for the development and growth of the Chapter members.
- Set core and advanced technology vision, develop technology capabilities and skills of Chapter members.
- Work with and align with enterprise architecture and product teams on developing an ongoing technology roadmap for the technologies handled within the chapter.
- Participate in solving sophisticated problems that require the highest proficiency level as an experienced organizer in consultations with architects, infrastructure team members, product team members, and other specialists.
- Ensuring adherence to all regulatory, compliance and audit requirements. This includes defining how technical work should be done, selecting appropriate tools, defining technology, quality, experience and implementation standards and practices within own technical domain.
- Proactively formulate recommendations in technology based on market trends and potential investments, technical and organizational issues for efficient product delivery.
- Set targets and coaches for development and growth, complete final assessment of Chapter employees in professional development. This includes all performance management aspects of leading the engineers including acquiring and providing 360 feedback and administering reviews.
- Hire, retain and lead high-functioning, diverse group of engineering professionals, establishing clear objectives and key results, developing consistent set of practices and process across the team and driving towards resolution of challenging problems in alignment with Product Owners.
- Mentor staff of engineers in both technical and soft skills to craft a team of highly technically competent, consistent, thoughtful and customer-centric technology experts. This includes ensuring the group is adhering to principles of engineering excellence within their technical domain, applying consistency of technical execution, sharing common practices and challenges within the Chapter and fostering a culture of excellence and continuous learning within the Chapter.
- Resolve organizational issues of keeping the Chapter members at work and meeting product demand.
- Set up interaction and knowledge sharing processes among Chapter employees in different Squads.
- Set up, implementation and adoption to Discover Agile Way Of Working of the teams, fostering team dynamics and quality practices, embrace agile ceremonies and adopt an extensive usage of Agile tooling (automation) and methodology, visibly demonstrate ‘ Leadership by Example’ in the way you behave and act.
- Predictable delivery of software development/product increments and automated testing and deployment practices across platform and software applications/containers
- Customer delight and AWOW team engagement/happiness measurable outcomes by applying metrics
- Bachelors' Degree in Information Technology
- 4 + years experience with Engineering People Leadership and Development or related
Bonus Points/Nice to have
- 5+ years of managing large enterprise infrastructure engineering teams across several modern initiatives and programs.
- 5+ Years’ experience in solutioning and delivering cloud-based IaaS, PaaS and SaaS infrastructure.
- Experience in delivering infrastructure as an integrated component of a large-scale transformation program in an agile operating model a definite plus.
- Experience in evaluating technologies and vendors and managing technology vendor engagements.
- Experience in hiring, coaching, mentoring, and developing highly motivated and hardworking technical workforce.
- Experience working in fast-paced technical environments to promote agile principles and mind-set across the organization.
- Experience running effective technology proof of concepts.
- Experience in coaching, mentoring, and developing highly motivated technical workforce.
- Native DevOps competencies. (automation, integration, CI/CD pipelines, containerization, automated deployments…)
- Deep knowledge and understanding of emerging trends in software engineering
- Excellent ability to communicate and present to all levels with the organization.
- Strong knowledge of DevOps design patterns, processes, tools and best practice
- A solid understanding of GitHub, Pivotal Cloud Foundry (PCF), Amazon Web Services (AWS), OpenShift (OCP), REST Services, Continuous Integration and deployment (CI/CD), Jenkins, Harness, Nexus, RabbitMQ, Kafka
- Knowledge of infrastructure provisioning (Terraform/Ansible)
- Experience with Java, Spring framework, APIs, Groovy and shell scripting languages
- Expertise with automation, monitoring and log analysis tools to manage operations
#LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
- #LI-MF1 #Remote #BI-Remote
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.