Staff Cloud Security Engineer at Gemini (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations and/or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Information Security
In the emerging industry of digital assets, there is nothing more important than trust (which is why Gemini’s very first hires were Security experts). The Gemini Security team forms the backbone of all that we do and is as diverse as the number of challenges we tackle in the crypto space. From security architecture and engineering to maintenance of cold storage systems and data centers to cybersecurity and litigation support, our team ensures that our customers, clients, and employees are safe, secure, and supported.
The Role: Staff Cloud Security Engineer
The Cloud Security team at Gemini enables our partners across the business to benefit from impactful security tools, platforms, and guidance. With a passion for making the easiest path also the most secure one, Cloud Security focuses on accelerating the business through secure-by-design approaches for the needs of our internal peers to get their job done.
Whether we’re crafting highly-reliable cloud environments, securely configuring a new business service, advising on an in-progress architecture, or creating a custom toolchain, the Cloud Security team considers how we’re balancing friction with security value, fighting back “security theater” by using our expertise with an empathetic, customer-service approach.
- Design, deploy, and maintain services/platforms for our security & engineering teams
- Utilize configuration management and “infrastructure as code” for all environments
- Establish robust alerting, logging, monitoring, and documentation across technologies
- Create custom modules and tooling to enhance the capabilities of our security solutions
- Partner closely with internal teams on security architecture and configuration decisions
- Effectively partner with cross-functional groups to ensure best security practices across the org
- 5+ years of experience building secure, resilient AWS-based environments
- Proficiency in writing Terraform and Ansible, including associated test suites
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an attention to detail
- Able to self-scope, define, and manage project plans involving multiple stakeholders
- Comfortable working in Linux-based environments, including deployment of services
- Ability to read and write software using Python, with additional experience in Bash
- In-depth knowledge of AWS security technologies, both native and third-party
- Experience designing and implementing technologies for zero-trust architectures
- Previous deployment of container technologies, such as Kubernetes, EKS, or Nomad
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.