Staff Security Engineer at Reverb
As an Etsy employee, you can do the work you love, be yourself, and make an impact in the lives of millions. Our commitments to diversity and inclusion, team culture and the spaces where we work all reflect our mission to keep commerce human.Job Description
As a Staff Security Engineer, you’ll be working on the tooling that we use to detect malicious or scary behavior in Etsy’s systems. You’ll also work with your peers on the security research & operations team to expand the breadth of what our alerts watch for, based on the results of red team, tabletop, and threat model exercises. As you grow in the role, what you work on will be guided not only by what threats Etsy faces, but by your own skills and interests.
What’s it like working at Etsy? "Keep commerce human" exhorts our Mission, and this focus on personal connection pervades the company. Cross pollination within Security, and throughout Engineering as a whole, facilitates innovation on the very vanguard of our field. You’ll be collaborating with peers who prize intellectual rigor, creativity, and experimentation as paramount, in an environment that affords a rich benefits package and ample career growth. If this portrait appeals to you, we would love to speak about your future on Etsy Security.
This role is based in Brooklyn, NY, or remote within the US & Canada.
About the Role
- You will be part of a full-stack software engineering team that has end-to-end ownership of critical tools, processes, and services.
- You will work with Python/PHP and may also use other languages. You will work with a variety of tools, including but not limited to Terraform, Chef, Jenkins, Docker, and GCP native tools. We expect you to be comfortable with SQL. We expect you to understand and use the best options for the job.
- You will understand event driven architecture paradigm and have some familiarity or interest in serverless architecture
- You will manage Linux systems.
- You will build tools and services with the goal of making compliance at Etsy frictionless.
- You will work closely with team-mates and partners that include engineers, analysts and project managers across the Security team, Test Deployment Infrastructure team, and Platform teams.
- You will work closely with Etsy’s deployment pipelines and tooling.
- You will work with the Engineering org at large to gain a deep understanding of Etsy Engineering, i.e. infrastructure, tech stack, risk, up/downstream impacts, tooling practices, etc
- You've led and completed multiple large, successful projects within a team environment as a senior software or systems engineer. Each of these projects may have taken many months or longer to see through.
- You take the lead on directing and implementing solutions to significantly complex, unscoped problems.
- Your work extends to many parts of a domain, and may begin to influence your entire department or domain.
- You align your team's work with Etsy business and engineering priorities to realize meaningful impact.
- You can set technical direction for your teammates as well as take it.
- You improve the overall quality of engineering done on your team and consistently take steps to support the growth and success of your teammates.
- You are eager to learn and to teach.
- You have deep experience maintaining and monitoring systems, owning a deploy stack as well as a test environment, and managing user facing components.
- You have some experience with front end design and engineering.
- You understand that being an effective engineer is as much about communicating with people and understanding the problem to be solved as it is about writing code.
- You are comfortable providing estimates or project ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap.
- You value workflow efficiency and believe in continuous improvement for yourself and your team.
- You’re creative, curious, and eager to learn.
- You are resilient to change.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.