Staff Software Engineer, API Platform at Reverb
As an Etsy employee, you can do the work you love, be yourself, and make an impact in the lives of millions. Our commitments to diversity and inclusion, team culture and the spaces where we work all reflect our mission to keep commerce human.Job Description
The API Platform team is responsible for the long-term technical vision of Etsy core business layer. We provide stewardship over existing API frameworks interlacing our codebase, from our data-fetching layers to our experimentation framework. You will collaborate with the team in helping us architect and build out the next version of our APIs and enable our customers, Product Engineering, to adopt it in an intuitive way.
This role is based in either Brooklyn, NY, or remote in the US.
This role involves:
- providing technical leadership for Etsy's GraphQL integration and architectural guidance to product teams adopting GraphQL.
- consulting teams across Etsy on best practices in building API for product development, facilitating adoption, and surfacing customer's pain points in the API infrastructure ergonomics
- work on designing and implementing improvements involving topics of security, scaling, experimentation, and caching; collaborating with Security, Product Engineering, and Infrastructure teams
A successful candidate is:
- experienced in building the core business layer of an application, designing for change, risk management, and scale
- expert contributor to an object-oriented back-end framework (PHP preferred) and has practical knowledge of caching and distributed systems; knowledge of GraphQL is strongly preferred
- takes the lead on directing and implementing solutions to significantly complex, unscoped problems
- mindful, transparent, and communicative team member
- knowledgeable of how software design decisions impact hardware resources
- generous with their time and enjoys both being a mentor and a mentee.
- committed to code quality and have a “leave it better than you found it” mentality; is willing to work with and improve on code they did not originally write.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.