Staff Software Engineer, Backend (Purchasing) at Affirm (Remote)
Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
Part of our Purchasing engineering org, the Qualifications team builds services to provide users with personalized pre-qualification offers, for all Affirm credit products, at key user journey moments to help users understand their spending power.
We are seeking a Staff Software Engineer to lead our efforts in building our pre-qualification services. You will support our new and emerging credit products while scaling our systems to create accurate, up to date, personalized offers for users. You'll partner deeply with product managers, engineering leads, analytics, and other stakeholders across the company to understand their needs and to build a scalable backend system that is utilized by many different teams and products across Affirm. Our system sits at the top of the purchasing funnel and is responsible for increasing transaction volume while allowing users to know their spending power before they buy.
What you'll do
- Partner with product, engineering, credit, and more to understand problems and design solutions
- Architect high scale, high visibility software systems -- our APIs are used by many client and backend teams across Affirm
- Drive detailed project definition, design, cross-functional alignment, estimation, in addition to task break-down, delivery, monitoring, and maintenance.
- Serve as a technical resource and engineering mentor for other engineers both inside and outside the immediate team.
What we look for
- 6-10+ years of experience as a software engineer with leadership responsibilities and experience mentoring engineers.
- Passion for partnering with cross-functional teams including Product, Design, Analytics and Business teams.
- Experience building thoughtfully designed, highly performant interfaces
- Product-centric thinking -- we care just as much about the product experience (ours, our stakeholders', and our company's) as we do the design of our engineering systems.
- Experience building scalable pub / sub and batch systems is a plus
- Experience building financial systems is a plus
- Programs you will use:
- Python / Flask
- Pub / Sub
- Git / Phabricator
Location - Remote U.S.
The majority of our roles can be located anywhere in the U.S. (exclusive of the U.S. Territories) and Canada (with the exception of Quebec).
Affirm is proud to be a remote-first company! The majority of our roles are remote and can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of the U.S. Territories, Quebec, Yukon, Nunavut, and the Northwest Territories) unless the job indicates a different global location. We are currently building operations in Spain, Poland, and Australia. Employees in remote roles have the option of working remotely or from an Affirm office in their country of hire, and may occasionally travel to an Affirm office or elsewhere for required meetings or team-building events. Our offices in Chicago, New York, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco and Toronto will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis, subject to local COVID-19 guidelines.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.