We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Execution team, a regular day could include reviewing the execution system with the team and identify tech debt and opportunities to capture additional value, collaborating with traders to iterate on automated strategies, and writing Java code with other engineers on the team to build out the future of PEAK6’s execution system. Additionally, Staff Software Engineers regularly participate in and contribute to regular architecture cadences, drive discussions and decisions on coding standards and practices, mentor other engineers and help reinforce and improve PEAK6’s engineering culture.
On the Execution team, you’ll be responsible for:
- Collaborating with trading and technology teams on trading strategy and algorithm implementations.
- Owning execution of key initiatives that align with strategic business plans.
- Providing influence and critical inputs into strategic business plans and trading system architecture.
- Creating improvements in stability, performance, and scalability across major business-critical systems.
- Full lifecycle software development to develop trading strategies/algorithms, implement trading risk and administrative controls, and interface with exchanges and brokers.
- Performing manual and automated testing to confirm strategy/algorithm behavior, efficacy of trading system controls, and overall system stability.
- Optimizing and monitoring critical path performance.
- Troubleshooting production issues quickly and efficiently.
You’ll gain loads of experience in this role but before you do, you should have:
- Proficiency in Java. Go or Python is a nice to have!
- Willingness to prepare and pass relevant regulatory examinations to attain a FINRA Series 57 certification.
- Experience with Financial Information eXchange (FIX) Protocol
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related.
- 8+ years trading or finance industry experience.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with high attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Linux platform.
- Effective communication skills.
- Passion for mentoring engineers and building software as part of a team
All of our developers have these traits. You should, too.
Motivation Collaboration Curiosity
Integrity Adaptability Ingenuity
Life at PEAK6
We want you to like coming to work so we work really hard to make your job fun and different from any other.
As a PEAK6 Staff Software Engineer, you can enjoy:
- Generous medical, vision and dental plans
- Matching 401(k) programs
- Adoption assistance & family leave
- Sabbatical program
- Massage days
- Poker tournament with a grand prize of a World Series of Poker buy in
- Sports leagues
- Cornhole tournaments
- Annual PEAK6 Party
- Yoga classes
- Tuition reimbursement
- Lasik eye discount
- Philanthropy events
- Annual wellness screens and flu shots
- Bagel Fridays/expiration lunches
- Birthday gifts
- Charitable matching gift program