We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. Over 20 years ago, we were among the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading and esports. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms and we continue to evolve.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Platform team, a regular day could include adding an easy to use API for a new synthetic data set, identifying tech debt and work with product on a plan to pay it down, collaborating with traders to identify gaps and opportunities in platform APIs, and writing Go, Java, and Python code with other engineers on the team to build out the future of PEAK6’s trading tools platform. Additionally, Staff Software Engineers regularly participate in and contribute to regular architecture cadences, drive discussions and decisions on coding standards and practices, mentor other engineers and help reinforce and improve PEAK6’s engineering culture.
On the Platform team, you’ll be responsible for:
- Collaborating with trading and technology teams on trading strategy and developing new features which enable our trading desk to operate more efficiently.
- Owning execution of key initiatives that align with strategic business plans.
- Providing influence and critical inputs into strategic business plans and trading tools platform architecture.
- Creating improvements in stability, performance, and scalability across major business-critical systems.
- Performing manual and automated testing to confirm overall system stability.
- Owning platform services throughout the software development lifecycle, including deploying to production and monitoring performance.
- Optimizing and monitoring critical path performance.
- Troubleshooting production issues quickly and efficiently.
You’ll gain loads of experience in this role but before you do, you should have:
- Proficiency in Go or Java. Python is a nice to have!
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related.
- 8+ years of software development, ideally with some trading or finance industry experience.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with high attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Linux platform.
- Effective communication skills.
- Passion for mentoring engineers and building software as part of a team
Does our Engineering DNA Match yours?
- We collaborate in small, agile teams to learn and develop innovative technology
- We like to develop impactful features fast so we can share directly with our end-users and iterate quickly
- We’re focused on well-defined software delivery and continuous learning
- People are everything and our support for each other is abundant
- Through open source technology, we continue to evolve our tech stacks while looking for ways to contribute back to the community
- Whether you’re new to our tech stack or an expert, we encourage each team member to experiment with new technologies and take ownership of projects.
- We love to have fun and dedicate time to exploring new technologies and ideas through Tech Days and Hackathons.
*Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, PEAK6 has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles will not be remote long-term and will return to an office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.