We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Platform team, a regular day could include adding an easy to use API for a new synthetic data set, identifying tech debt and work with product on a plan to pay it down, collaborating with traders to identify gaps and opportunities in platform APIs, and writing Go, Java, and Python code with other engineers on the team to build out the future of PEAK6’s trading tools platform. Additionally, Staff Software Engineers regularly participate in and contribute to regular architecture cadences, drive discussions and decisions on coding standards and practices, mentor other engineers and help reinforce and improve PEAK6’s engineering culture.
On the Platform team, you’ll be responsible for:
- Collaborating with trading and technology teams on trading strategy and developing new features which enable our trading desk to operate more efficiently.
- Owning execution of key initiatives that align with strategic business plans.
- Providing influence and critical inputs into strategic business plans and trading tools platform architecture.
- Creating improvements in stability, performance, and scalability across major business-critical systems.
- Performing manual and automated testing to confirm overall system stability.
- Owning platform services throughout the software development lifecycle, including deploying to production and monitoring performance.
- Optimizing and monitoring critical path performance.
- Troubleshooting production issues quickly and efficiently.
You’ll gain loads of experience in this role but before you do, you should have:
- Proficiency in Go and Python. Java is a nice to have!
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related.
- 8+ years of software development, ideally with some trading or finance industry experience.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with high attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Linux platform.
- Effective communication skills.
- Passion for mentoring engineers and building software as part of a team
All of our developers have these traits. You should, too.
Motivation Collaboration Curiosity
Integrity Adaptability Ingenuity
Life at PEAK6
We want you to like coming to work so we work really hard to make your job fun and different from any other.
As a PEAK6 Staff Software Engineer, you can enjoy:
- Generous medical, vision and dental plans
- Matching 401(k) programs
- Adoption assistance & family leave
- Sabbatical program
- Massage days
- Poker tournament with a grand prize of a World Series of Poker buy in
- Sports leagues
- Cornhole tournaments
- Annual PEAK6 Party
- Yoga classes
- Tuition reimbursement
- Lasik eye discount
- Philanthropy events
- Annual wellness screens and flu shots
- Bagel Fridays/expiration lunches
- Birthday gifts
- Charitable matching gift program