Staff Software Engineer (Platform Team) at PEAK6
As a Staff Software Engineer on the Platform team, a regular day could mean adding an easy-to-use API for a new synthetic data set, identifying tech debt and work with the product team on a plan to address it, collaborating with traders to identify gaps and opportunities in platform APIs then turn shared findings into income-delivering products - and writing Go and Python code with fellow team engineers to build out the future of PEAK6's trading tools platform. Additionally, Staff Software Engineers regularly participate in and contribute to regular architecture cadences, drive discussions and decisions on coding standards and practices, mentor other engineers and help reinforce and improve PEAK6's engineering culture.
On the Platform team, you'll be responsible for:
- Collaborating with trading and technology teams on trading strategy and developing new features which enable our trading desk to operate more efficiently and capture new business opportunities.
- Owning execution of key initiatives that align with strategic business plans.
- Providing influence and critical inputs into strategic business plans and trading tools platform architecture.
- Handling challenges in stability, scalability and performance within and across major business-critical systems by diagnosing, recommending and implementing improvements, by using new and established practices and technologies - in a high-availability high-performance environment.
- Performing manual and automated testing to confirm overall system stability.
- Owning trading platform services throughout the software development lifecycle, including deploying to production, monitoring and tuning performance.
- Troubleshooting production issues quickly and efficiently.
You'll gain loads of experience in this role but before you do, you should have:
- Proficiency in Go or Python. Java is also nice to have!
- Experience with Pub/Sub messaging technologies like Kafka, exposure to a variety of relational and non-relational databases like MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB, and Redis.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related.
- 8+ years of software development, ideally with some trading or finance industry experience.
- Excellent problem-solving skills with high attention to detail.
- Familiarity with Linux platform.
- Effective communication skills.
- Passion for mentoring engineers and building software as part of a team
Does our Engineering DNA Match yours?
- We collaborate in small, agile teams to learn and develop innovative technology
- We like to develop impactful features fast so we can share directly with our end-users and iterate quickly
- We're focused on well-defined software delivery and continuous learning
- People are everything and our support for each other is abundant
- Through open source technology, we continue to evolve our tech stacks while looking for ways to contribute back to the community
- Whether you're new to our tech stack or an expert, we encourage each team member to experiment with new technologies and take ownership of projects.
- We love to have fun and dedicate time to exploring new technologies and ideas through Tech Days and Hackathons.
* Due to the unprecedented situation of COVID-19, PEAK6 has decided to protect our current and future employees by managing our business remotely. This is inclusive of interviewing, onboarding and each role day-to-day. Please consider that our roles will not be remote long-term and will return to a hybrid office setting once we're safe to do so following the guidance of local health authorities and the CDC.
*PEAK6 currently requires all employees as a condition of employment to either be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or submit to regular testing. The CDC defines "fully vaccinated" as two weeks after the second dose for Pfizer and Moderna, and two weeks after the single dose of Johnson & Johnson. PEAK6 will also require proof of vaccination and/or testing. PEAK6 will also consider requests for exemption from these requirements as a reasonable accommodation for medical reasons or sincerely held religious beliefs