Technical Architect at RedShelf
Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective through the use of digital instructional resources. Partnering with more than 400 publishers and 1,900 campuses nationwide, we provide leading-edge digital course materials and an end-to-end Content Delivery System for effortlessly distributing those materials.
The Technical Architect role will serve the organization by leading the charge of designing and implementing the underlying architecture required to serve our services to our customers. This position will be a mix of hands on and technical leadership, performing data modeling, helping troubleshoot system wide issues, and creating documentation of our systems from the architecture to data flow.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Creating / maintaining design documents that help show the current / proposed infrastructure and data flow to not just the engineering department, but also other non-technical parties
- Works with the CTO & VP, Engineering to ensure our infrastructure is being created with security, fault tolerance, and scalability as major focuses
- Leads architecture review meetings, ensuring teams are focusing on creating efficient systems that allow for reuse and scalability
- Participates in high level product planning meetings, to understand complexity and the ultimate vision in what we are building for
- Willing to roll up their sleeves and assist in any way that helps move us forward
- Works with other key team members in coming up with new solutions for software architecture
- Stays on top of new advancements in services, software, and design patterns that we can possibly implement
- Must have at least 8 years of experience in creating web based software and has been a Lead / Architect in previous roles
- Must have experience creating / architecting scalable systems and services
- Experience in working across multiple teams, onshore and offshore
- Must have a player / coach mentality that can lead others while being hands on
- Must have experience in creating systems that also interact with external partners / vendors
- Must have extensive experience with different databases / types (PostgreSQL, Redis, MySQL, MongoDB, etc) and database / schema design
- Must have experience in Cloud Infrastructure (AWS, Google, Azure, etc)
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to translate technical information to the non-technical, especially upward
- Strong analytical, problem solving and diagnostic skills
- Must have a good sense of urgency and feeling of ownership over what you are assigned to
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Experience with different web Frameworks (Django, Flask, Spring Boot, Laravel)
- Experience with different front end and backend languages (Python, Java, NodeJS, PHP, EmberJS, React, AngularJS)
- Experience with creating services suitable for mobile app consumption
- Background and/or experience in educational technology and/or publishing
- Comfort and/or experience in a startup environment
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.