What we are looking for:
We are looking for a leader who is passionate about people and technology. This person will be responsible for overseeing all technical aspects, business commitments, and customer needs of the platform. We are looking for an individual who can build, manage, and motivate a Software Development team and direct the company towards its primary technical objectives, define and align those technical objectives with the strategic goals of the organization, and help CityBase grow.
- Lead the engineering team; defining the standards that will guide engineering initiatives.
- Define the future architectural direction of CityBase technology; maturing our products from custom, client-specific solutions to scalable enterprise solutions across the entire product suite.
- Enable the business to meet revenue targets and customer timelines; represent the voice of engineering for sales and marketing, assist in creating realistic project plans, tracking development progress, create feedback loops with sales and marketing, and staying within project budget.
- Solve tough problems; lead the decomposition of complex technical and process problems into clearly defined solutions that teams can execute on.
- Empower, inspire and support a team of engineering leaders and individual contributors, helping each member of your team realize their professional development goals.
- Determine engineering staffing strategy; including building effective teams and adjusting staffing to meet the needs of the business.
- Be an outstanding manager; directly manage members of the engineering team, promote collaboration, problem-solving, and inclusivity within and across teams.
- Identify and address factors inhibiting the efficiency and effectiveness of development processes.
- Work closely with product managers, designers, and business leaders to develop a roadmap of features balanced with the need to address technical debt.
- Define departmental cost and staffing goals; manage costs to meet or exceed annual engineering budget.
- Define the career paths for engineering and QA team members.
- Create a culture of learning and innovation; coordinate/lead activities that promote professional development across the department, while advancing our solutions.
- Participate in thought-leadership activities that promote CityBase as a company and our products.
- 10+ years of professional software development experience with an object-oriented or functional programming language.
- 4+ years of experience as a software engineering team lead or engineering manager, demonstrating a dedication to creating an environment that facilitates happy and fulfilled developers.
- Experience growing start-ups; tackling technical debt while meeting revenue targets.
- Understanding of microservice architecture patterns and anti-patterns.
Nice to have
- Deep knowledge of the challenges inherent in concurrent and distributed programming and strategies for managing them
- Familiarity with Linux, Git, Docker, and AWS
- Experience developing software with Ruby and/or Elixir
- Comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance
- 401(k) (no matching yet, but we’re working on it)
- Flexible vacation policy
- Paid parental leave
- Flexible spending account and dependent flexible spending account
- Pre-tax commuter program
- Short and long term disability and life insurance
- Yearly, per employee conference and continued education budget
- Fitness membership stipend
- Free snacks and drinks
At its best, local government is a unifying force with the power to dramatically improve lives. Govtech-company CityBase is helping smart people build intelligent government, working with cities, counties, utilities, and states to create a place as dynamic as the people who live in it, work in it, and contribute to it. Accessible and responsive, adaptive and efficient, our cloud-based platform is digitizing the city-hall experience and impacting constituents nationwide.