VP, Engineering at Affinitiv
Join our award-winning A-Team!
Ready to produce exceptional results with exceptional people? Get in touch, we would love to get to know you.
Affinitiv is the largest provider of end-to-end, data-driven marketing and software solutions exclusively focused on the automotive customer lifecycle. Backed by 20+ years of automotive and marketing expertise, we pride ourselves on being the go-to experts in the industry. Not only do we work with over 6,500 dealerships and every major manufacturer in the country, we’re well-versed in OEM standards and the intricacies of a dealership or group’s local business.
Reporting to our CTO, the VP, Engineering will be responsible for leading our Engineering teams and drive the growth and transformation of our platform and our business. You will lead a global Engineering and Quality Assurance team on driving platform modernization and innovation to help fuel our explosive growth.
He/She will be responsible for championing new technologies and processes while releasing quality product on-time and balancing technical debt. You will be a hands-on leader who is technically adept and has the desire and capability to mentor every individual on the team.
- Leads software engineering teams that will be known for its speed of delivery, business responsiveness, predictability, and efficiency
- Lives and breathe a DevOps culture managing teams of Senior SDEs and SREs that work hand-in-hand with you to deliver modern, scalable, SaaS software across multiple cloud providers
- Partners with Product Management to ensure engineering's vision for success is aligned with the business goals
- Defines the vision of success for the engineering organization to achieve the Company’s strategic goals, empower the engineering organization to achieve that success and hold them accountable to the outcomes
- Establishes a culture of continuous improvement with a relentless focus on delivering value to our customers
- Manages and develops a team of top leaders and engineers
- Ensures engineering organization is properly staffed, tooled, and processed
- Defines and executes on the team’s quarterly objectives in a measurable, repeatable way
- Collaborates with other leaders in defining higher-level corporate objectives
- Works with VP, IT on cloud and infrastructure costs and budgets.
- Develops and instills engineering best practices and quality systems in service to high availability hardware deployments and software releases delivered on time
- Partners with the CTO to influence and operationalize the Company’s technology vision
- Plays a key strategic role on CTO’s Leadership Team in helping to set the company's direction
- Participates in engineering design and architecture decisions
- Mentors/Leads each team architecture and code to be able to provide adequate cross-system solutions to drive our business goals
- Works closely with Product Management and Program Management to prioritize feature development and bug-fixes against ambitious timelines
- Plans sprints with Product and Program team and ensure design specs are being met
- Owns QA, and production environments, including change management and release management processes
- Identifies, tracks, and improves metrics identifying the health of our engineering processes and technical platform
- Prioritizes outcomes over outputs for software development, concentrating effort on solving business problems with measurable KPIs
- Collaborates with teams across the organization to identify the right data platform capabilities to support analysis and reporting for many internal needs from myriad data sources using best practices in developing data pipeline and data products
- Leads the delivery, execution, and tactical engineering processes and results
- Researches and implements best-in-class technologies, tools, methodologies, and frameworks for software engineering and engineering management
- All other duties as assigned
- Strategic Thinker: designs and refines organizational strategies for both the present and future, in a fast-paced, ever-changing, global digital and technology arena
- Customer Experience: Sponsors key initiatives at the organizational level to delivery of messages, pushing for change, providing resources, and generating excitement
- Communication Agent: Consistently and persistently ensures that vision of Affinitiv is clearly communicated to key leaders and that they are able to help others translate the vision into action
- Influence: Achieves long-term strategies by successfully influencing initiatives to key leaders in Finance, Operations, Marketing, etc.
- Change Leadership: Takes proactive role by articulating a compelling vision of change; anticipating and overcoming potential obstacles; and addressing conflicts among the leadership group for discussion and resolution
- Partnership: Strategically partners with all leaders. Sustains organizational partnerships during periods of change and adversity
- Team Focus: Models collaboration in building plans and strategies to enhance organizational clarity. Adapts management style to enable optimal team performance
- Commitment to Results: Invests significant resources towards opportunities for radical improvement—setting standards for growth, quality and service that assure market leadership
- Culture Champion: Develops and supports long-range diversity initiatives that improve market penetration, enhance leadership makeup, and create a culture that values diversity
- People Leadership & Development: promotes the visibility of current and future leaders and supports individuals with their development to ensure Affinitiv’s talent and leadership talent requirements are achieved
- An under-graduate degree in computer science/engineering is required; a master’s degree/MBA is preferred
- 15+ years of software engineering experience
- 5+ years of team management experience with globally distributed teams
- 5+ years of Engineering Leadership delivering mission critical, enterprise SaaS solutions
- Proven track record of success managing development teams in high-functioning continuous delivery environment that supports outcomes for the business
- Mastery of modern agile software methodologies (e.g., Scrum, Kanban, ScrumBan, Kanplan) and planning tools (e.g. JIRA)
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience operating distributed, scalable SaaS offerings using Docker and Kubernetes (or similar container/orchestration) in production at scale
- Skilled with modern IaaS and PaaS platforms
- Strong understanding of relational and NoSQL database
- Solid understanding of modern API design patterns (REST, GraphQL, JSON, etc.)
- Strong understanding of Big Data systems
- Strong working knowledge of Data Privacy practices, GDPR, CCPA, etc.
- Strong system security experience.
- Ability to effectively partner in the development and execution of business strategies. Use strong analytical capabilities and a fact-based approach to develop effective solution to business issues
- Strong multi-tasking and prioritizing abilities while being nimble and adaptable
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Projects the highest levels of integrity while winning through a consultative and embracing personality
- Superior interpersonal communication and presentation skills as well as proven organizational skills
Affinitiv knows you have interests outside of work, which is why we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision and 401K effective day 1 just to name a few. We also offer generous PTO so you can enjoy off time with family and friends.
At Affinitiv, we celebrate diversity, equality, and an inclusive environment.
Affinitiv is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are extended to all employees and applicants for employment. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
All aspects of employment are decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, merit, and business needs. Affinitiv is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.