VP of Engineering
Founded in 2012 and recently named one of the nation’s fastest-growing private businesses by Inc. Magazine, RedShelf is a Chicago-based EdTech company helping to make education both more affordable and more effective by replacing yesterday’s pricey print publications with today’s more dynamic yet far less expensive digital content. Partnering with more than 400+ publishers and 640+ campuses nationwide, we offer leading-edge digital course materials and a seamless, end-to-end Content Delivery System for effectively distributing those materials.
The Vice President of Engineering is the executive that grows and manages the engineering team, is responsible for the process for roadmap estimations and long-term technical planning, maintains the productivity of the software development lifecycle, and strives to make everyone in the engineering organization successful.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with RedShelf’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers and leaders on our team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as the leader of RedShelf’s engineering management team
- Communicate and reinforce business goals
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes that you and your team may encounter
- Promote and maintain an engineering culture focused on team collaboration and personal growth
- Collaborate closely with the Chief Technology Officer to develop and maintain the technical roadmap for RedShelf
- Maintain clear channels of communication to your engineering team, ensuring understanding of business goals and priorities
- Take ownership of the Agile development process and software development lifecycle to ensure the engineering team is balancing new product development while addressing technical debt
You Could Fit If:
- You know how to balance the reliability, usability, compliance and cost of critical systems
- You are deeply technical, but prefer to lean on your leadership and management skills
- You are comfortable planning in quarters, and also have experience planning in years
- You have previously integrated mentorship and professional development into an engineering culture
- You are able to drive execution of high impact work while incorporating feedback from multiple sources.
- You are excited about collaborating with teams and executives across RedShelf’s organization
- You are an experienced VP of Engineering who has mentored other engineering managers and leaders
- You have experience using Python for Web Application Development
- You have worked in a Continuous Release cycle with an emphasis on incorporating DevOps and QA into the SDLC
Other Desirable Skills/Experience:
- Experience with Angular, React, or Ember is a plus
- Experience with Python and frameworks like Django is a plus
- Experience building ADA-compliant or WCAG 2.0-compliant interfaces
- Knowledge and appreciation of the advances in higher educational software, course materials, and digital publishing is a plus
- Background and/or experience in educational technology and/or publishing
- Comfort and/or experience in a startup environment
- Ideal candidate is self-sufficient and highly motivated, self-directed and possess high energy and a passion for RedShelf
RedShelf prides itself on maintaining an informal but fast-moving, hard-working, entrepreneurial culture. Our team members are smart, innovative, and passionate about improving education through digital technology.
We offer the best of both worlds: the energy and opportunity of a rapidly-growing organization, coupled with the stability of an extensive client base, strong financial backing, and proven track record of success. In addition to a forward-thinking environment with ample opportunity for professional and personal growth, our team members enjoy competitive compensation and benefit packages, including company stock options.
RedShelf is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, individuals with a disability, veterans, and others who would enrich the diversity of RedShelf are encouraged to apply.