Associate Equity Analyst at Morningstar
The Role: Our Equity Research team is looking for a highly motivated Associate Equity Analyst to facilitate coverage of stocks. The associate will have opportunities to contribute materially to topical and thematic research, and substantially assist with coverage on a variety of firms in a particular sector. This position is based in our Chicago office.
• Analyze publicly available information (including earnings reports, conference calls, regulatory filings, press releases, industry blogs and news sites), develop industry-relevant contacts and build internally-generated data to create investment mosaic, often with incomplete information, for about 5 to 7 companies.
• Assist sector analysts to speed the construction of long-term, well substantiated research.
• Gather and help interpret industry data to contribute to long-term forecasts and help write notes for a sophisticated and demanding client base. Analyze implications of fundamental industry developments for coverage as required.
• Contribute to research material on your team’s coverage lists.
• Contribute to Equity Research department-wide initiatives as requested by the Director of Research.
• Become entrenched in industry news flow to fully understand sector drivers and gain context.
• Work quickly and efficiently with industry data while ensuring output remains error-free.
• Become an expert in Morningstar’s Economic Moat research methodology.
• Proactively seek out the information required to learn more about your sectors and associated industries.
• Act with independence and an “investors first” attitude at all times.
• A bright, motivated individual with the desire to succeed in an intellectually intense environment. Possess scholarly curiosity, a passion for creative analysis, and meticulous attention to detail.
• Ability to think broadly and creatively about a range of strategic issues affecting a business.
• Strong qualitative and quantitative acumen combined with strong written and verbal communication skills.
• A minimum of a bachelor’s degree is required; a Chartered Financial Analyst® or CPA designation and/or a master's degree in business administration is preferred
• Experience in sell- or buy-side equity research, investment banking, or related financial field preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to make decisions under tight deadlines, at times with incomplete information.
• Possess independence, critical thinking skills, and a passion for investing with a bias toward long-term fundamental research.
• Sound financial modeling skills and knowledge of discounted cash flow modeling techniques. Excel proficiency is expected.
• Strong intuitive grasp of economic concepts related to supply and demand modelling.
• Excellent written and spoken communication skills, including an ability to speak comfortably with company managers and institutional investors.
• Work well within a team and be capable of respectfully accepting and providing constructive feedback.