Our telematics data has opened the door to new ways of auto pricing: new data everywhere, new analytical approaches, and the massive computational power to finally put the two together. For an actuary, this means a new world of statistical and analytical opportunities, shaping the future of insurance along the way.
We're looking for an Associate Actuary to independently manage the development of ratemaking analyses and implement complex rate changes. In this role, you'll be tackling challenging questions from the ground up, such as how to better price uninsured motorists coverage or how to account for large losses with little history. You'll also be hands-on developing our internal ratemaking methods such as increased limit factors and overall rate level indications, expanding on what we've built and experimenting with new, innovative approaches.
What you'll be doing
- Independently manage projects and analyses with minimal supervision
- Build new ratemaking methodologies from the ground up
- Implement and file complex state updates and new state/product builds
- Research and enhance existing ratemaking methodologies
What we're looking for
- 4+ years P&C actuarial pricing experience, ACAS or FCAS preferred
- Rigorous statistical thinking within an alternative model framework
- Exceptional attention to detail, with prior project management experience preferred
- Impeccable communication skills, translating technical concepts to a variety of stakeholders
- Intermediate experience in SQL
- Demonstrable experience with modeling in R, Python or other modeling software packages
At Root, we judge people based on the merit of their work, not who they are. Very few (if any!) people will fit every description; so if you are passionate about what this role entails, and are excited by solving real problems, we encourage you to apply; we want to learn about you, and what you can add to our team!
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be. And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
We’re a venture-backed technology company. Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us