We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm headquartered in Chicago and with offices nationwide. Over 20 years ago, we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our equity options trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, ranging from early stage to growth capital to operational control.
Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, an e-sports organization and a flood insurance technology platform, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
As an Associate within the Strategic Capital investment and operating team, you’ll be focused on the top strategic priorities for PEAK6. The team is responsible for investigating strategic opportunities, designing and conducting qualitative and quantitative research and analyses, driving M&A and corporate development initiatives, and working closely on key initiatives with senior leaders in PEAK6’s portfolio companies and shared services.
The successful candidate is an independent, analytical, and intellectually curious individual who can identify issues, structure analyses, develop solutions, and articulate findings to wide range of business stakeholders, including senior leadership throughout the organization. The ideal candidate will have a financial and accounting background with an entrepreneurial mindset. It is essential that a candidate has outstanding interpersonal and communication skills and is comfortable taking on responsibility in a fast-paced, dynamic – and oftentimes ambiguous – environment.
You’ll be responsible for:
Sourcing New Investment Opportunities
- Conducting research, including market research, and financial analysis on potential investment targets.
- Developing and building relationships with investment bankers, entrepreneurs, management teams and other investors in order to source deals and maintain relationships with qualified leads.
Deal Due Diligence, Presentation and Execution
- Screening investment opportunities and and coordinating investment process and execution, including due diligence, financial analysis and oversight of third-party advisors.
- Assisting in developing operating and financial models, valuation comparables, precedent transaction analysis and industry analysis for prospective deals.
- Assisting with core financial diligence including analyzing detailed financial statement information including income statement, balance sheet, cash flow and key operational data to help to identify key risks and assess the strengths and weaknesses of the business against industry benchmarks.
- Preparing written summaries, due diligence findings, presentation materials and investment memoranda that clearly communicate diligence findings and investment recommendations for the investment committee.
Negotiation and Review of Transaction Documentation
- Assisting in the negotiation of key transaction terms with legal team support.
- Supporting legal team with deal structuring and the evaluation of term sheets, letters of intent and key deal points.
Corporate Development / M&A
- Developing a deep understanding of how our businesses operate, the markets we play in, our strategic priorities and potential opportunities.
- Developing deep relationships with leaders of PEAK6 and our operating businesses and work closely with them on priority initiatives to improve portfolio company performance.
- Supporting evaluation, negotiation and execution of potential merger and acquisition opportunities by conducting due diligence and capital structure reviews, developing business cases, building detailed financial models (DCF, comps, accretion / dilution, etc.) and working closely with internal leaders and external advisors.
- Representing PEAK6 in a highly engaging and professional manner throughout the entrepreneurial and investing community, including networking and marketing functions.
You’ll gain loads of experience in this role, but before you do, you should have:
- A strong learning agility and proactive mindset – you love data and are intellectually curious – always asking “why” and finding areas for improvement and opportunity.
- Comfort with ambiguity – demonstrating resiliency, maturity, and sound judgment.
- A desire to learn and grow – you’re driven to be the best and challenge yourself by setting goals, beating them, and encouraging your teammates to do the same.
- High ethics and integrity – you always conduct yourself with honesty and operate ethically. You say what you mean, and mean what you say.
- The ability to take ownership – you take active responsibility not only for those tasks that you directly control, but also support teammates to ensure success.
- Bachelor’s degree with 3-4 years of work experience in one of the following: financial audit, transaction advisory services, investment banking, financial consulting, or other M&A experience. Big 4, professional services or advisory firm experience strongly preferred.
- CPA is strongly preferred.
- High level of proficiency and comfort with 3-statement financial modeling and analysis. Exceptional problem-solving, decision-making and quantitative skills, including strong financial modeling abilities and research and analytical skills to support data-driven decision making.
- Entrepreneurial self-starter who thrives in a fast-moving environment and is independently capable of seeking information, corralling resources, and delivering results without waiting for direction.
- Ability to prioritize deliverables and meet demanding deadlines.
- Ability to move seamlessly between conversing with engineers or frontline ops employees to leading presentations with senior executives.
- High-energy, positive team player who has a proven ability to influence without authority and build strong working relationships with business partners; this is a highly cross-functional role, so a low ego and a high instinct for collaboration are musts.
- Strong judgment and ability to make well-informed decisions – displaying both high IQ and EQ.