Billing Representative at SMS Assist
SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Billing Representative supports the Billing Team Lead by reviewing invoices to validate key data points and to ensure billing accuracy prior to submission through customer software. This position also supports the Billing Team by contacting vendors as needed.
- Review invoices for pricing, margins, rates, and fund allocation accuracy prior to submission.
- Review invoice discrepancies per standard procedures; resolves or escalates discrepancies for further review.
- Submit billing invoices through the company custom software system.
- Provide backup support by receiving and resolving vendor calls regarding services and billing expectations.
- Contact vendors to obtain appropriate documentation and adjustments on previously rejected invoices.
- Contribute to team efforts by accomplishing specialized billing tasks with efficient and accurate results.
- Foster a positive team environment.
- Ensure confidentiality of internal and external data.
- Perform ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned.
These are the professional skills we would expect from an individual fully established in this role.
- Verbal Communication - Proficient
- Written Communication - Proficient
- Prioritization - Proficient
- Analysis - Proficient
Role Specific Skills
- Data Entry Skills
- Keyboard Skills
- Proficient Microsoft Outlook Skills
- Proficient Microsoft Excel Skills
- System Experience: Knowledge of word processing and database maintenance required
People Management Skills
- Not applicable for this role
- Bachelor’s Degree and 2 or more years of equivalent work experience
Other Relevant Qualifications
- Previous billing or invoicing experience is preferred
- Knowledge of SMS Assist client billing guidelines is preferred
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.