Farmer’s Fridge was founded in Chicago in 2013 with the mission of making wholesome, delicious food easily accessible, so people can live a little happier and healthier. Our network of 300+ software-enabled smart Fridges vend handcrafted salads, grain bowls, sandwiches, and more. We are striving to change the food system from the ground up – one Fridge at a time.
At our core, we are a team that cares – about the business, the impact our product makes, and about each other. We are data-driven, innovative, and quick to move on a good idea. Transparency and collaboration are key to our process, as Farmer’s Fridge is a fast-paced work environment where things are always evolving. We’re proud to have a tight-knit team where people bring their A game every day.
Various team and company social events and town halls keep us connected to each other as well as aligned and focused on our short and long term goals. We’re opening Fridges weekly across the country and are looking for people with passion, ingenuity, and moxie to join our team and help us fulfill our mission of making healthy food as accessible as a candy bar!
As a Buyer, you’ll be responsible to ensure we consistently have the inputs needed to produce our amazing food. In this role, you will manage the procurement process for all ingredients and packaging included in Farmer's Fridge's "pantry", with the goal of providing our customers with the highest quality products, while also supporting our production team by ensuring continuous supply of ingredients.
Please Note: The Buyer will be expected to sit at our Facility located at 5370 S. Cicero Ave, Chicago,IL, Monday through Thursday, and at our Corporate Office, located at 2000 W Fulton, Chicago, IL on Fridays.
- Purchase and maintain optimal levels of inventory for all produce items to ensure the production team is able to meet daily demand forecasts on-time and in-full.
- Manage items with varying lead times and shelf lives.
- Oversee the daily purchasing needs for the facility including ingredients, production and facility supplies
- Discover and execute opportunities for cost reduction such as price comparisons and bulk purchases
- In coordination with the Food Safety & Quality Assurance and Warehouse teams, ensure all incoming deliveries meet or exceed our quality specifications
- Minimize inventory overages by utilizing assumed yields, data from our inventory and production teams, and demand forecasts.
- Maintain detailed records of purchases and communicate to warehouse team through use of receiving log.
- Manage in-house and supplier inventory for menu discontinuations or launches
- Partner with suppliers to resolve issues related to invoicing, product quality, and delivery coordination.
- Coordinate returns, replacements, and credits for non-compliant / rejected inbound shipments of produce ingredients.
- Strengthen existing supplier relationships, manage their day-to-day performance and circle back to ensure that our partners follow up on our expectations.
- Streamline the supplier performance review process by maintaining records of KPIs and owning data reporting for important metrics
What we're looking for in a Buyer:
- Minimum of 2 years of Procurement / Planning / Supply Chain Management experience
- Food industry knowledge is a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with a demonstrated ability to work effectively across teams, vendors, and co-workers
- High level of business and financial acumen, with proven negotiation skills
- Ability to self-motivate and problem solve in a fast-paced setting with hard deadlines
- Proficiency with Slack, Hangouts, Sheets, Docs, Slides, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Ability to work from our production facility Monday - Thursday at 5370 S. Cicero Ave., Chicago,IL
- Detail Oriented. You understand that a good treasure hunt involves keeping track of where you’ve already been, checking back for changes, and noting your finds.
- Relationship Building. You can be friends with anyone and those friendships pay off in dollars saved!
- Communication. You listen and understand production needs and communicate those needs to the sellers.
- Adaptable. The ability to operate in ambiguous situations and be flexible as the organization changes and grows.
Benefits at Farmer's Fridge:
- Traditional Benefits. Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability
- 10 paid floating holidays
- Generous paid time off policy
- Daily Fridge Credits. You can enjoy these flat rate credits at any Fridge.
- Monthly cell phone credit
- 401(k) + Company Match
- Volunteer Opportunities. We love to engage with our community and participate in events that are aligned with our mission
- Regular team celebrations for company milestones and other special events
Farmer’s Fridge is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
View our disclosures related to External Agencies and Applicants below: https://www.farmersfridge.com/careerdisclosures