Let's just get it out of the way... If you were stranded on a desert island and given only one tool, you would choose Excel. Yeah, everyone is talking Google Sheets nowadays, but you secretly purchased an Excel license. Shhh.
You love lists & puzzles, you're highly organized likely to the annoyance of friends and family. You are known to explain complicated concepts in simple ways. You have a secret creative streak that not many know about; business up front, party in the back. If you’ve gotten this far, you are nodding your head and are wondering what we're looking for?
We're looking for a financial controller to join us in a fast-paced, collaborative startup environment, who is excited to make immediate contributions to our accounting and finance processes. Our ideal candidate has 6-10 years experience in corporate accounting roles, has a can-do attitude, and can hold his or her own in a game of Werewolf (Google it if you must).
The Opportunity and Impact
We are Jiobit; a hardware-enabled software company that helps families of all shapes and sizes move forward with ease. We make a suite of award-winning location monitoring devices and apps.
You are a doer; a scrappy, crafty, trouble-shooter. You are a data-hungry, pattern-finding, action-taking learner. This is someone who thrives in a fast-paced environment, and who wants to both enable those around them to create successes and grow but is also excited to make an impact with their own hands.
We are looking for someone to join us as a Financial Controller. You will take ownership of critical accounting and finance responsibilities, including ongoing cash flow management, the month-end accounting close process, and budget variance analysis. You will be responsible for the accuracy of the financial statements, as well as presentation of the monthly financial results to the CEO and CFO. At the end of the day, this person will play a key role in helping scale Jiobit’s business.
In particular, the ideal candidate will be:
- Data Hungry - You are highly analytical and you love data. Others will tell us you’re highly capable of immersing yourself in data and delivering actionable recommendations. VLookups are your friend.
- Curious - doesn't need expertise in every aspect of our business, but wants to learn more and finds it exciting. You don’t wait for permission to kick down the door and relentlessly hunt down problems to solve.
- Trouble Shooter - dig into the details and find the root cause, not satisfied when things don't add up or make sense. You question (almost) everything.
- Operating with Integrity - you don't get creative with the numbers and you act as a steward of the company's finances. Your known in your social circles as someone with integrity.
- Manage the monthly accounting close process, including preparation and reconciliation of the financial statements, approval of Balance Sheet account reconciliations, and reporting of financial results.
- Maintain, develop, and ensure proper adherence to the company’s accounting policies and procedures. Ensure compliance with GAAP accounting standards.
- Manage the company collections and payables operations
- Support the monthly state tax filing process
- Assist with special projects within the Finance department
- Consolidate the monthly financial statements, complete with comprehensive variance analysis
- Manage ongoing accounting processes, such as bank reconciliations and accounts payable/receivable
- Consolidate and report monthly customer retention data to CEO/VP Finance
- Proactively identify cost savings opportunities across several areas of the business
- Create and maintain ongoing sales performance charts to support the marketing team
MORE ABOUT US
Jiobit is the first of its kind patented location sharing platform, enabling the longest lasting and smallest real-time location products (indoor or out) with best-in-class security.
Featuring a host of encryption and security technologies, Jiobit is trusted by thousands of pet owners and families, as well as enterprise customers, with usage in every populated continent in the world.
Our mission is to provide the right information at the right time to the right people.
We believe that caregivers should have a single source of helpful information to guide growth and reduce stress. We envision a world where families move forward with ease using a single source of helpful information. Everything we do and everyone who works here is centered around this mission.
Basically, this is the moment you opt-out if you’re not into it.
We provide competitive compensation, generous stock options, ample benefits, and clear and concise pathways to personal and professional growth within the organization
Jiobit has won an Editor's Choice Award with PCMag and has been featured on CNBC, Buzzfeed, Techcrunch, and USA Today to name a few. Jiobit has offices in Chicago and Silicon Valley. With a strategic investment from Netgear, Inc., along with Chicago-based Venture Capital firm, MATH Venture Partners, we are positioning the business for rapid growth.
What you’ll get
Unlimited time off to juggle work/life balance, including 3 week minimum time off
Flexible work hours and location (optional work from our downtown Chicago office, hybrid in office/WFH)
Medical, dental, vision insurance (including 50% contribution for dependents)
Short-term / Long-term Disability offered
Competitive Stock Option & Equity Packages
Cash compensation between $115,000 and $130,000 (location and experience dependent) for new team members, with performance and milestone driven adjustments
What you'll need:
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or MBA with an Accounting focus. CPA a plus
6-10 years accounting experience
Advanced level of Microsoft Excel skills
In depth knowledge of GAAP accounting principles
Experience overseeing month-end accounting closes at small companies, or heavy involvement in accounting close processes at large corporations
Excellent communication and organizational skills, with a strong ability to prioritize and multitask
Creative, yet analytical, in your approach to solving problems and identifying opportunities
- Roll-with-the-punches attitude and good sense of humor