Our Value Proposition:
Clearcover is a venture-backed technology start-up disrupting the trillion-dollar legacy insurance market. We’ve focused on building products that create confident, happy customers - and we’re flourishing. We believe in putting our people first, paying them well, and working together to solve tough problems. If you’d like a high-growth opportunity with an award-winning company, let’s chat.
What is the Director of External Reporting and Technical Accounting?
The Director of External Reporting and Technical Accounting at Clearcover isn’t your average Financial Reporting role. We are a fast-paced yet thoughtful start-up, so this is a unique opportunity to bring thought leadership, critical thinking, strategic vision and decision velocity to ensure our external financial reporting and technical accounting expertise remains vigilant, grows as the business grows and contributes toward building a world-class finance function at Clearcover.
What will you do in this role?
- Lead issuance of audited GAAP and statutory financial statements, including building and formalizing internal financial reporting processes
- Lead annual audit execution by partnering closely with the external auditors
- Lead highly visible, critical projects related to financial reporting processes and controls
- Be a key contributor to required capital calculations, reporting and analysis
- Lead technical accounting research, document conclusions and partner with 3rd parties (auditors, regulators, etc.) to ensure alignment
- Collaborate across all functional areas of the business to identify opportunities for additional process improvement, policies or controls
- Work closely with the Controller/CAO and CFO to design and implement new policies and procedures
In addition to these responsibilities, we are a start-up so there are many other opportunities to roll up your sleeves and make an impact, especially since you’ll be part of an engaged, innovative, collaborative and energetic team.
What personal characteristics do you need?
- Uncompromising honesty, integrity and transparency
- Intellectual curiosity, strong conceptual thinking and problem solving
- Strong leadership and communication
- Authenticity and openness to vulnerability
- A focus on team over individual success
- A passion for accounting (it’s ok, you can admit you love accounting like we do!)
What experience do you need?
- Both GAAP and Statutory accounting
- Model Audit Rule and/or SOX
- Public company experience preferred
- Public accounting experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Certified Public Accountant
But wait, there’s more:
As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. While we do offer medical (and cover the vast majority of the premium), dental, vision (and cover 100% of those premiums) and 401K (we contribute 3% even if you contribute nothing), we’ve curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. With over half of our employees remote to the Chicago HQ office, we paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. Our people also have access to unlimited vacation, monthly mental health workshops, discounted gym memberships, equity in the company and an annual bonus program. Plus, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto-insurance! Excited to learn more? Complete the application below!
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.