Director of FP&A at SMS Assist
SMS Assist Summary
At SMS Assist, we’re not just in the business of fixing properties—we’re fixing an entire industry. Typically, facilities maintenance is tough work—both in the nature of the job (plumbing, HVAC, snow removal) and the lack of clarity throughout the experience. We decided a better way wasn’t only possible, but essential. Through our award-winning technology platform, built and powered by SMSers, we connect local contractors to our customers and help manage an experience that surpasses expectations.
Recognized on Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Deloitte’s Technology Fast 500, Chicago Crain’s Top Tech Employers, and more, SMS Assist manages more than 186,000 properties where people live and work. Our customers’ livelihoods are in our hands—think a restaurant manager whose only fryer goes down on a busy Friday night or a family in Florida without power after a hurricane. We work across the industries that make up your community, including retail, food service, banking, residential, and more, and we help them find the right provider in our network (we call them Affiliates) in more than 45 trades.
We’re innovators, disruptors, and out-of-the-box thinkers. We set each other up for success in the office and for the perfect spike on the volleyball court during an intramural game. We’re community volunteers, karaoke partners, and lifelong friends. We’re passionate about the people we serve, and we give our all because we care. We want to make every property better, and we want your help to make it happen.
The Director of FP&A (Financial Planning & Analysis) is responsible for driving profitable business results and operational excellence by leading the financial support to SMS’ business units and providing in depth financial performance and operating metrics. This individual will maintain relationships internally within SMS operations, affiliate teams, and management.
- Contribute to complex, large scale strategic projects to drive better outcomes, improved efficiencies, technology enhancements and scalability of the business
- Actively participate in long-range company strategy and operational goals, ensure that they are clearly communicated, reinforced, and delivered according to plan.
- Ensure the achievement of company financial goals through effective forecasting, budgeting, strategic planning, reporting, and monitoring financial and operational performance.
- Analyze business/financial data and develop innovative solutions.
- Communicate operational, budgetary or resource issues/obstacles in a timely fashion.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to improve company processes; utilize benchmarking data to achieve high levels of excellence and cost effectiveness
- Identify opportunities to improve processes, financial models, and reports
- Assist in formulating, creating, and tracking KPIs
- Support management in evaluating financial and strategic impact of new business opportunities including business development strategies, new product and service offerings, and technology solutions
- Set up corporate finance best practices
- Serve as a credible, knowledgeable, and trusted resource to the senior leadership team
- Operate within the Organization’s Financial, Legal, and Ethical Policies. Be familiar with and comply with company rules and policies
- Foster a positive team environment
- Ensure confidentiality of internal and external data
- Perform ad-hoc projects and other duties as assigned
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to analyze and see patterns in data and information in order to create proactive solutions
- Ability to perform complex analysis of financial and other data; financial modeling experience required
- Solutions-oriented mindset
- Ability to present to and communicate with multiple levels within the company and with the customer
- Ability to motivate and lead others
- Comfortable organizing and leading individual and group meetings
- Driven by numbers/measures and comfortable in environment with heavy emphasis on customer service and satisfaction metrics
- Effective problem-solving skills
- High integrity
- Flexibility, adaptability and able to juggle multiple projects and priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to provide instruction, training and guidance to others
- Education Level: undergraduate degree (Business, Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Mathematics, preferred)
- 9+ years business experience
- Computer Skills: Advanced proficiencies in: Microsoft Word and Outlook
- Expert level of proficiency with Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience with Vena or comparable FP&A planning tool
- Demonstrated experience managing and leading individuals and/or small teams
- Proven organizational skills with attention to detail
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Strong communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- MBA degree is a plus
- Experience in facilities industry is a plus
- System Experience: Python, R or Tableau
- Ability to develop relationships with internal and external clients
- Excellent attention to detail and time management skills including the ability to prioritize multiple time-sensitive deadlines in a complex, fast-paced environment
- Exceptional at developing business partnerships
Please note, this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities, and schedule may change at any time with or without notice.
SMS Assist is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.