Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest.
We are looking for an individual who has a strong passion to combine disciplines of technical accounting and economic outcomes of complex business transactions; support Affirm leadership to present industry impacts and alternatives to the accounting standard setting bodies (FASB/IASB) on unique and complex financial reporting matters; develop accounting policies and lead implementation; and actively participate to promote learning culture and develop current and future talent. This position will report to the Corporate Controller.
What you'll do
- Assist in the preparation and review of quarterly and annual consolidated financial statements, including drafting of financial statement schedules (cash flows, equity roll-forward, footnotes, among others), completing GAAP checklists
- Responsible for the technical accounting analysis on loan securitization and other structured finance transactions by identifying and addressing accounting issues through preparation of technical accounting memos. Specific areas of focus include consolidation (ASC810), transfers and servicing (ASC 860), beneficial interests (ASC 325-40), and hedge accounting (ASC 815).
- Responsible for the technical accounting analysis of loans receivable, implementation of CECL and ASC 606
- Oversees research and documents accounting implications of significant and/or non-routine transactions, including identification, assessment and documentation activities on topics including fair value concepts, consolidation, financial instruments and equity
- Assist in operationalizing new/complex transactions and function as a liaison for Controllership with the Capital Markets Group, and Legal Department on new initiatives including considering impacts on operational accounting
- Collaborate with the Legal Department to review new or changed contracts related to business partnerships and entity structuring to identify any accounting implications
- Manages the assessment of accounting implications of new accounting pronouncements and establishes a process for frequent and appropriate communication to the Corporate Controller and other stakeholders
- Help in the establishment and work within timelines for financial statement preparation, and work collaboratively with various business partners to ensure such timelines are met
What we look for
- CPA required
- 10+ years’ work experience in accounting, including Big 4 accounting firm experience
- Advanced knowledge of US GAAP, IFRS and rules and regulations
- Demonstrated application of US GAAP to purchase accounting and assessing financial instrument accounting implications
- Proven process for performing complex technical research and analysis from the problem definition stage through facilitating the integration of any new processes
- Strong written and verbal communication skills (please provide a sample of a written accounting analysis)
- Demonstrated strong leadership skills, high energy, initiative and creativity - with a proven ability to manage significant initiatives across organizations and across geographies, as well as develop and motivate staff
- An orientation toward process and detail mindedness. Strong analytical and quantitative skills and superior accounting skills.
- The desire to improve broken processes and make your own job easier over time
- Passion for Affirm and a strong interest in technology
We’re excited to announce that Affirm is now a remote-first company! This role can be located anywhere in the U.S. and Canada (with the exception of Quebec). Remote based employees may occasionally travel to an Affirm office for meetings or team building events. Our offices in San Francisco, New York City, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Salt Lake City will remain operational and accessible for anyone to use on a voluntary basis.
Please note that visa sponsorship is not available for this position.