Equity Analyst at Morningstar
The Group: Morningstar is one of the largest independent sources of fund, equity, and credit data and research in the world, and our advocacy for investors’ interests is the foundation of our company. We believe that our research analysts are among the most respected thought leaders in the industry, and we offer original, influential, thought-provoking, and independent analysis. We offer intellectually stimulating career paths and the opportunity to work alongside highly motivated individuals and industry experts.
The Role: Our Equity Research team requires an experienced equity analyst. This analyst will cover a diversified list of financial service companies, which may include credit card issuers, securities exchanges, and life insurers. The role offers considerable intellectual freedom to focus on developing long-term oriented, original, and in-depth insights on complex industry issues with an emphasis on understanding ever-changing competitive dynamics. The analyst will publish in-depth research pieces that exemplify our reputation for thought leadership, our ability to assess outcomes for debatable investor topics, and our analysis that clients need to make better investing choices. This position is based in our Chicago office.
• Analyze publicly available information, alongside internally-generated data, to create an investment mosaic. Estimate fair values for about 20 financial service companies.
• Gather and analyze industry data to develop a long-term industry vision and write notes for a sophisticated and demanding client base. Analyze the implications of fundamental industry developments for coverage.
• Regularly publish reports, detailed discounted cash flow models that focus on the key drivers of the business, and in-depth research pieces, including the qualitative and quantitative analyses of your coverage’s Economic Moats.
• Develop relationships with coverage companies and industry participants by attending company events and industry conferences to enhance research and build brand.
• Become an expert in Morningstar’s Economic Moat and Valuation methodologies.
• Proactively surface attractive investment ideas internally and externally to support all products and clients.
• Act with independence and an ‘investors first’ attitude at all times.
• A bright, motivated individual with the desire to succeed in an intellectually-stimulating environment. Must possess intellectual curiosity, a passion for creative analysis, and attention to detail.
• Ability to think broadly and creatively about a range of strategic issues affecting a business.
• Strong qualitative and quantitative acumen combined with strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Bachelor’s degree; a CFA designation and/or MBA is preferred.
• Three to five years of experience in sell-side or buy-side equity research. Alternatively, three to five years of relevant industry experience combined with a proven interest in equity research.
• Ability to form opinions under tight deadlines, at times with incomplete information.
• Possess independence, critical thinking skills, and a passion for investing, with a bias toward long-term fundamental research.
• Sound financial modeling skills and knowledge of discounted cash flow modeling techniques. Advanced Excel proficiency is expected.
• Work well within a team and be capable of respectfully accepting and providing constructive feedback.
Your application package should include your resume; a cover letter; and it is preferred to include a work, school, or personal report or presentation that illustrates an equity investing decision or recommendation that you have made.
036_MstarResearchLLC Morningstar Research Services LLC Legal Entity