Financial Reporting Accountant at Morningstar
Accountant – Financial Reporting
Morningstar is looking for an Accounting – Financial Reporting to join our Finance team, which is focused on innovation, automation and process improvements. As an Accountant – Financial Reporting, you will play an integral role in all aspects of financial reporting, including Morningstar`s global consolidated financial statements, SEC filings, earnings releases, management reports and board reports. This position reports to the Senior Manager of Financial Reporting. This is a full-time position and is based in our Chicago office.
• Prepare and/or review monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, including those reported in the 10-Qs and 10-K for filing with the SEC and quarterly earnings releases.
• Research and resolve day-to-day financial reporting issues and assist with the resolution of new or unusual transactions to ensure proper application of US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
• Assist in the creation of financial reporting-related policies and procedures.
• Responsible for various monthly close activities, including accounting for leases and preparing various journal entries and account reconciliations.
• Provide insightful financial analysis including explanations of variances between actual and prior period results and presents findings.
• Perform the administrator role for the lease accounting system.
• Ensure continued compliance with internal audit and SOX requirements and assist with the identification of process/control/automation enhancements.
• Coordinate with auditors to assist in quarterly and year-end audit procedures, including audit requests.
• Manage process to review XBRL tagging with external vendor for 10-Qs and 10-K.
• Prepare ad hoc analyses for management and auditors, as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting is required.
• A CPA is required (or in progress).
• Minimum of two to four years of experience in public accounting, with experience working on publicly traded clients or related SEC reporting experience at a large, multi-national, publicly held corporation.
• Big 4 public accounting experience is preferred.
• Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP, including SEC reporting requirements.
• Ability to multi-task and manage shifting priorities and deadlines, with attention to detail, and an ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Excellent documentation skills to be used in developing audit work papers and completing SOX reviews.
• Knowledge of Hyperion Financial Management financial consolidation software is a plus.
• Working knowledge of XBRL is preferred.
• Strong skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word).