Financial Reporting Senior Accountant at Morningstar
About the Role
Morningstar is looking for a Senior Accountant to join our Financial Reporting team in the Finance organization, which is focused on innovation, automation and process improvements. As a Senior Accountant, you will play an integral role in all aspects of financial reporting, including Morningstar`s global consolidated financial statements, SEC filings, earnings releases, technical accounting research, management reports and board reports. You will work collaboratively with multiple departments and global colleagues to support adherence to Morningstar’s global accounting policies and financial reporting processes, in addition to the Sarbanes-Oxley internal control program. This full-time position reports to the Senior Manager - Financial Reporting and is based in our Chicago office.
• Prepare and/or review monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements, including those reported in the 10-Qs and 10-K for filing with the SEC and quarterly earnings releases.
• Research and resolve day-to-day financial reporting issues, and assist with the resolution of significant, complex, and/or unusual transactions to ensure proper application of US GAAP and SEC reporting requirements.
• Assist in the creation of financial reporting-related policies and procedures.
• Responsible for various monthly close activities, including accounting for stock-based compensation, leases, and preparing and/or reviewing various journal entries and account reconciliations.
• Provide insightful financial analysis including explanations of variances between actual and prior period results and presents findings.
• Perform the Hyperion Financial Management administrator role for the consolidation module, which includes responsibility for maintenance, security roles, chart of accounts, and mapping tables.
• Perform the administrator role for Visual Lease, the lease accounting system.
• Assist with the coordination of the SOX program to ensure continued compliance with SOX program requirements and identify process/control enhancements.
• Coordinate with auditors to assist in quarterly and year-end audit procedures, including audit requests.
• Manage process to review XBRL tagging with external vendor for 10-Qs and 10-K.
• Prepare ad hoc analyses for management and auditors, as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting is required.
• A CPA is required.
• Minimum of three to five years of experience in public accounting, with experience working on publicly traded clients or related SEC reporting experience at a large, multi-national, publicly held corporation.
• Big 4 public accounting experience is preferred.
• Strong knowledge of U.S. GAAP, including SEC reporting requirements.
• Ability to multi-task and manage shifting priorities and deadlines, with attention to detail, and an ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Excellent documentation skills to be used in developing audit work papers and completing SOX reviews.
• Knowledge of Hyperion Financial Management financial consolidation software is a plus.
• Working knowledge of XBRL is preferred.
• Strong skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word).