GL Accountant at Morningstar
About the Role
Join an Accounting and Finance department that is focused on innovation, automation and process improvements. Along with an outstanding culture, this position will provide professional growth, continuous challenge and increased business partnership.
As a General Ledger Staff Accountant, you will play an integral role with our month-end close process, Sarbanes-Oxley Act compliance, and process improvements. This position reports to the US Accounting Manager and is based in our Chicago office
• Prepare journal entries, account reconciliations, financial statement schedules, and other necessities for our month-end close.
• Assist with internal and external audit schedules; ensure that all tasks adhere to our control environment.
• Assist with Fixed Asset setup and reporting including rollforwards and reconciliations.
• Execute financial controls by performing various reconciliations and testing of account detail.
• Assists in development and implementation of accounting procedures by analyzing current procedures and recommending changes.
• Analyze financial information and perform other duties as assigned.
• A bachelor's degree in accounting or finance.
• Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles and the ability to apply them to business transactions.
• Understanding a Chart of accounts and how accounts roll-up to financial statements.
• The ability to adjust to a fast-paced environment and manage completing tasks by strict deadlines.
• Excellent communication skills to interact with varying levels of management and professional staff.
• Progressive thinking skills, a strong work ethic, and an aptitude for innovative solutions
• Strong organizational, attention to detail and documentation skills, particularly to help with compliance with section 404 of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.
• Familiarity with accounting software is a plus.
• 1-3 years’ experience in corporate accounting, audit or finance.
• CPA or CPA candidate a plus.