Global Head of Systematic Equity Strategies (Investment Management) at Morningstar
Our investment approach is guided by timeless investment principles, supported by deep research, and informed by behavioral science. We frequently collaborate on research and projects with our colleagues around the world, both within Investment Management and across the wider Morningstar group. We are committed to continuous learning and high ethical standards, placing needs of our investors first in everything we do.
The Role: The Investment Management group requires an experienced investment professional to establish and lead our global systematic strategies team. This position requires a person who commands respect in the systematic investment community, has experience successfully leading investment teams, and can communicate effectively with clients and media. You will work closely with the existing systematic team and other global investment team stakeholders to develop and implement cutting-edge investment strategies that deliver superior investing outcomes to MIM clients. This role requires a person who demonstrates excellent quantitative analytical skills, a track record for cutting-edge research, and significant experience implementing systematic investment strategies. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Establish and lead global systematic strategies team with the goal of delivering superior risk-adjusted returns for our clients in accordance with MIM's long-term, valuation-driven investment philosophy.
- Work with key internal stakeholders in the investment and product team to develop investment strategies with clear mandates as a portfolio building blocks or standalone strategies.
- Oversee global research agenda to build and enhance our systematic equity strategies across all steps of the investment process, including valuation model/strategy research, portfolio construction and implementation.
- Lead global best practice squad governing the group's research and investment processes specific to systematic strategies.
- Work closely with implementation partner to oversee timely, accurate and efficient execution of systematic strategy across multiple potential implementation channels (SMA, ETF and mutual funds etc.)
- Partner with operations and trading team to develop methodology and process to optimize implementation of strategies based on tax and turnover considerations.
- Collaborate with technology and risk & analytics team to support efficient storing and production of data and analytics that underpin MIM's systematic strategy data and research platform.
- Act as a key internal and external spokesperson for MIM through publications, media engagements, board meetings, conference presentations and client meetings
- Mentor and develop team junior team members in areas such as empirical asset pricing, corporate finance, behavioural finance, portfolio construction and risk management.
- Strong leadership capabilities coupled with a demonstrated ability to motivate and encourage high performing teams.
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills in a pure investment sense along with a high degree of investment acumen.
- 10+ years of progressive hands-on systematic investment experience with experience in leading investment teams, driving innovation and overseeing implementation.
- Familiarity with international accounting standards, corporate valuation, economics and behavioral finance.
- Significant experience implementing systematic strategies and optimizing strategy based on different implementation considerations (e.g., taxes, signal decay, turnover etc.)
- Familiarity using security-level risk models and optimization software.
- Strong quantitative skills with good grasp of statistics and probability theory
- Proficiency in object-oriented programming language(s) (Python, Matlab, or R) and database management software (e.g., SQL).
- Have a passion for investing, markets, investment research, and supporting innovative investment strategies and offerings to meet the needs the evolving market environments that our clients serve.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, with experience producing high quality written materials for clients, media and publications.
- Graduate degree related to investing is required, with a Ph.D. preferable.
002_MstarAssocLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity