Reinsurance Accounting Advisor at Root
Root is looking for a deeply analytical and detail-oriented accounting advisor with a background in
reinsurance who will own and execute the accounting implementation, automation, and reporting of
current and new reinsurance treaties and covenants. As a Reinsurance Accounting Advisor, you
would build key relationships with brokers in the global reinsurance market, and partner with the
Reinsurance, Actuarial, Product, and Claims Teams on complex reinsurance accounting
transactions, documentation, and risk control recommendations. This is a critical role for our
Accounting Team as you will drive the processes that support our reinsurance agreements and
further our understanding of their impact to Root. The ideal candidate has significant reinsurance
accounting experience, is an adept communicator, has a passion for process improvement, and is
excited about contributing to a rapidly evolving and scaling accounting environment.
Reports to: Reinsurance Reporting Manager
What you’ll be doing.
- Own several complex accounting transactions and processes, specifically related to reinsurance and pooling arrangements
- Leads initiatives for the implementation of involuntary assumed programs
- Engage with Finance Modeling Team to validate model assumptions to forecasted financial results and provide explanations for variances on actualized financial results
- Own the preparation of reinsurance month/quarter/year-end GAAP and Statutory reporting
- Performs detailed contract analysis to ensure reinsurance treaties are adhered to
- Develops strong relationships with brokers and participates in the global reinsurance market
- Works with multiple business partners on the Reinsurance, Actuarial, Product, and Claims
- Teams to ensure direct and ceded transactions are recorded correctly
- Utilizes technology and data analysis skills to enhance and improve the delivery of job responsibilities
- Continually develops, expands, and improves month-end close and financial reporting
- procedures by assisting in the development of building an in-house reinsurance system
- Support the effectiveness of the internal controls over the financial reporting process
- Leads various ad hoc projects and analysis as required
What we’re looking for.
- 5-7 years insurance background with reinsurance accounting experience and a bachelors degree in accounting or finance
- Experience in implementation and proficiency in reinsurance accounting systems.
- Preferably with experience in property and casualty insurance accounting and reporting with exposure to relating accounting transactions to financial modeling
- Has or is actively pursuing a CPA, CPCU, ARe, or AIAF designation(s) or other financial certification
- GAAP & statutory insurance accounting knowledge
- Experience driving multiple projects simultaneously, with an ability to work with all levels of the organization
- Independently analytical & curious in nature
- Excellent skills with Microsoft Office products and data analysis tools
- Strong writing skills and succinctly communicates with a wide range of audiences
- Self-starter, with strong interpersonal, teamwork, analytical and partnering skills
Who we are.
Root Insurance is the nation’s first licensed insurance carrier powered entirely by mobile. We were
founded on the belief that the services you need for everyday life should serve you better. That’s
why we base insurance coverages on you, not your demographic. It’s the way insurance should be.
And it’s all conveniently in an app.
What draws people to Root.
Our early success is in large part due to our unwavering standards in hiring. We recognize that our
product is only as good as the people building and promoting it. We look for individuals who find
solutions by going through the cycle of ideation to implementation with curiosity, rigor, and a highly
analytical lens. Ask anyone who works here and you’ll hear similar reasons for why they joined:
Autonomy. For assertive self-starters, the opportunities to contribute are limitless.
Impact. By challenging the way it’s always been done, we solve problems that have a big impact
on our business.
Collaboration. We encourage rich discussion and civil debate at every turn.
People. We are inspired by the collection of crazy-smart people around us.