Senior Accountant at Morningstar
The Role: Morningstar is looking for a Senior Accountant to join our Revenue and Receivables team in the Finance organization, which is focused on innovation, automation and process improvements. As a Senior Accountant, you will have the opportunity to work closely with our internal teams to process sales contracts and record the related invoicing and revenue. You will work collaboratively with multiple departments to understand, assess, and improve revenue and receivable processes. This is a full-time position and is based in our Chicago office.
• Review and manage month-end revenue accruals, monthly revenue reports, and account reconciliations.
• Research and resolve day-to-day revenue accounting issues and assist with the resolution of significant or complex transactions to ensure proper application of US GAAP.
• Assist in the client invoicing process and work closely with local Accounts Receivable and Shared Services teams to ensure quality service, from invoicing through cash collection, for both internal and external customers.
• Manage day-to-day quote-to-cash activities, including end-to-end processes for asset-based contracts.
• Support Financial Planning & Analysis team to ensure complete and accurate revenue forecasts.
• Responsible for quarterly financial reporting activities related to deferred revenue and asset-based products, as well as annual financial statement and regulatory reporting for Morningstar Investment Services.
• Conduct process reviews, perform internal controls testing, remediate control deficiencies and proactively assess changes/improvements to the overall control environment.
• Coordinate with auditors to assist in quarterly and year-end audit procedures, including audit requests.
• Assist with the supervision of staff; provide developmental feedback and growth opportunities; delegate tasks and ensure sufficient cross-training of key responsibilities
• Other duties as assigned.
• 5+ years of experience in public accounting or related position with focus on revenue and/or audit processes.
• Ability to communicate clearly and assume additional responsibilities over time with potential to directly manage team members.
• Ability to multi-task and manage shifting priorities and deadlines with attention to details, and an ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Familiarity in applying revenue recognition principals related to software, service contracts, and multiple element deliverables.
• Experience with SalesForce.com, Blackline, Tableau, and Oracle’s Contracts, Accounts Receivable and Cash Management modules is a plus.
• A CPA or other accounting certifications required.