Senior Accountant at Morningstar
The Role: This is Senior Accountant role that will work within the Revenue and Receivables team and will report to the Accounting Manager. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work closely with our internal teams to process sales contracts and record the related invoicing and revenue. You will work collaboratively with multiple departments to understand, assess, and improve revenue and receivable processes. This position is based in Chicago.
• Responsible for month-end AR close process and related activities.
• Review and manage team’s month-end revenue accruals, monthly revenue reports and account reconciliations.
• Assist in client invoicing process and work closely with local Accounts Receivable and India Shared Services teams to ensure great customer service from invoicing through cash collection.
• Audit final contract data against opportunity information entered in the Company’s SalesForce CRM application to ensure accuracy of information used for internal and external reporting.
• Review contracts to ensure revenue is recognized in accordance with the Company’s policies and U.S. GAAP.
• Complete fair market value allocations for multiple element arrangements and assist with preparation of revenue recognition memos and documentation of accounting conclusions.
• Participate in cross-functional project teams formed to address business process improvements in the revenue and receivable area.
• Conducts process reviews, performs controls testing, remediates control failures and proactively assesses changes to the overall control environment.
• Provides developmental feedback and growth opportunities to staff members; delegates tasks and ensures sufficient cross-training of key responsibilities in an effort to strengthen the knowledge of the financial operations team and provide uninterrupted service to all critical constituencies.
• Other duties as assigned.
• 5+ years of experience in an accounting or related position with focus on billing and/or audit processes.
• Ability to communicate clearly, work in a team-environment, and assume additional responsibilities over time.
• Familiarity in applying revenue recognition principals related to software, service contracts, and multiple element deliverables.
• Experience with SalesForce.com, Oracle’s Contracts, Accounts Receivable and Cash Management modules is a plus.
• A B.A in Accounting or similar field required, CPA or other accounting certification a plus
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.