Senior Accountant – General Ledger
The Team: The Corporate team unites a variety of functions at Morningstar including design, marketing, finance, quality, human resources, corporate communications, legal, compliance, strategic planning, and technology with the goal of keeping our business running smoothly. Each of these functions plays an essential role in supporting our Company’s infrastructure, day-to-day operations, and ongoing strategic initiatives.
The Role: As a Senior Accountant, you will play an integral role in all aspects of general ledger accounting, Sarbanes-Oxley Act compliance, automation and process improvements. This position reports to the Accounting Manager. This is a full-time position and is based in our Chicago office in the heart of the loop.
• Responsible for various monthly close activities, including preparing and/or reviewing various journal entries and account reconciliations.
• Research and resolve day-to-day general ledger accounting issues, and assist with the resolution of significant, complex, and/or unusual transactions to ensure proper application of US GAAP.
• Ensure continued compliance with internal control requirements (SOX focus) and identify process/control enhancements.
• Coordinate with auditors to assist in quarterly and year-end audit procedures, including audit requests.
• Assist in the creation of accounting policies and procedures.
• Develop and maintain relationships with various members of the organization in order to implement process improvements.
• Prepare ad-hoc analyses for management and auditors, as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting is required, CPA preferred.
• Minimum of three to five years of experience in public accounting or publicly held company’s corporate accounting.
• Ability to multi-task and manage shifting priorities and deadlines, with attention to detail, and an ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
• Excellent documentation skills supporting routine and non-routine transactions (audit support documentation level required).
• Excellent control documentation skills and ability to mentor team members and business partners regarding SOX requirements.
• Excellent spoken and written communication skills; interpersonal skills.
• Strong skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word).
• Knowledge of Oracle and Hyperion Financial Management financial consolidation software is a plus.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity