Senior Regulatory Accountant
This is a mid-level role that will lead the accounting and analysis for Morningstar Investment Services, LLC (MIS) which is a broker dealer and a regulated entity with the SEC and FINRA. Additionally, this role will assist with the oversight of the Morningstar Fund Trust (the Fund) with the Principal Financial Officer.
- Preparation of monthly general ledger closing journal entries, including revenue accruals, revenue true-ups, and cash receipts.
- Preparation of monthly general ledger account reconciliations, including Accounts Receivable, Deferred Revenue, and Unbilled Revenue.
- Preparation of monthly financial statements for the stand-alone Broker Dealer registered entity with the FINRA.
- Identify, analyze and research critical variances with Financial Analyst and management team (e.g. month over month comparisons and variances to forecast/budget).
- Perform continuous monitoring of the open receivables, cash receipts, and revenue adjustments recorded for the difference between the accrual and the cash receipts.
- Reconciliation of all intercompany transactions and due to /due from accounts for settlement
- Build and develop strong working relationships with the MIS management and operations teams.
- Direct interface with external auditor related to the annual FINRA required audit of the Broker Dealer.
- Assist in continuing efforts to improve operational efficiency through the development of policies and procedures
- Document all processes and policies for MIS accounting and financial reporting
- Work with the Fund’s Principal Financial Officer to establish, maintain and oversee the Fund’s revenue and operating expense budgets.
- Work with the Fund’s Principal Financial Officer to establish, maintain and oversee disclosure controls and internal control over financial reporting.
- Understand the Fund’s procedures supporting the calculation and payment of periodic distributions; NAV and asset pricing procedures; daily fund expense payment authorizations; and preparation of financial statements and shareholder reports (including semi-annual and annual reports and related SEC filings).
- Serve as a liaison between Funds Administrator and other service providers
- Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned.
- BS in Accounting or Finance
- 4-6 years of experience in a public accounting firm or finance or accounting organization
- Experience with broker dealer or fund accounting a plus
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.