The Investment Management group is a global team guided by Morningstar's investment principles focused on delivering great long-term investment results to help end-investors reach their financial goals. Morningstar® Managed PortfoliosSM, our complete wealth management platform serving financial advisors, offers a broad lineup of strategies built with stocks, mutual funds, and ETFs to help meet an investor's needs at each stage of their lifetime.
The Trade and Operations Specialist supports the trade operations team within Morningstar Investment Management (MIM)'s broader investment operations group. The position is responsible for delivering the highest quality investment and operations support, ensuring efficient and robust investment portfolio trade implementation for the Morningstar Managed Portfolios (MMP) program and mutual fund operations. The person plays a role in the evolution of the trade team and its processes, with a focus on optimizing trade workflows, escalating operational risks, and effectively partnering with technology and global operations resources. The ideal candidate is flexible and adaptable during strategic operational developments. The role is based in Chicago in the heart of the Loop and reports to our Senior Manager of Trade and Operations. We are currently taking a hybrid approach with some days in the office and some days remote.
- Oversee the full account trading life cycle of trading activity including but not limited to trade generation, routing, execution, and reconciliation on a daily basis for TAMP accounts.
- Support the trading operations associated with running our portfolios through a variety of third-party distribution platforms.
- Evaluate current processes with a focus toward continuous process improvement and industry best practices.
- Work closely with the investment management team, focused on providing best in class trading capabilities and solutions for funds.
- Advocate for and support trade operations in product initiatives focused on bringing sophisticated investment options to market.
- Maintain productive relationships with key stakeholders including custodians, third party vendors, other investment operations teams, and other functions within MIM to contribute to the efficient operation of our MMP program.
- Escalate and resolve operations barriers. Ability to see the big picture and roll up sleeves to resolve issues.
- Liaise with custodians and third party vendors to improve and expand our capabilities.
- Escalate and resolve service issues
- 4-8 years relevant experience in trade operations, trading and portfolio services. Asset Management background is advantageous.
- A bachelor's degree; a concentration in finance or a related area is a plus.
- Functional knowledge of variety of products including; managed portfolios, TAMP solutions, and mutual funds +Operational team management experience required; demonstrated ability to empower, coach and develop team members.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy; the person in this role must maintain a sharp focus during market hours and minimize distractions.
- Strong organizational, time management, and client service skills. Integrity is a must in this role.
- Proven ability to research and resolve complex operational issues and advise team on initiatives that improve overall efficiency.
- InvestCloud APL experience and/or Charles River experience is a plus.
- Experience with other trading OMS's and rebalancers is plus.
- Advanced Excel training is advantageous.
002_MstarAssocLLC Morningstar Investment Management LLC Legal Entity