VP, Controller & Chief Accounting Officer at Clearcover (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Our Value Proposition:
Clearcover is a venture-backed technology start-up disrupting the trillion dollar legacy insurance market. We’ve focused on building products that create confident, happy customers - and we’re flourishing. We believe in putting our people first, paying them well and working together to solve tough problems. If you’d like a high-growth opportunity with an award-winning company, let’s chat.
What is the VP, Controller & Chief Accounting Officer at Clearcover?
Clearcover is looking for a strategic and forward-focused insurance finance executive with experience building high performing teams combined with proven business savvy and superior statutory and GAAP knowledge specific to property and casualty insurance. Experience and appreciation of lifetime value concepts inherent with personal auto insurance will be key to achieving performance objectives in this role.
The VP, Controller & Chief Accounting Officer will report in to Clearcover’s EVP & Chief Financial Officer and will function as the Chief Financial Officer for Clearcover Insurance Company in addition to supporting the GAAP and statutory accounting functions for all Clearcover entities.
What are your responsibilities?
- Direct the financial reporting and accounting, treasury, investment management and internal audit efforts for all entities
- Manage financial reporting relationships with regulators, reinsurers, auditors and board of directors
- Function as a key advisor to the EVP & Chief Financial Officer
- Play a key role in building relationships with ratings agencies and industry regulators
- Serve as a credible, knowledgeable and trusted resource to the senior leadership team
- Offer the quality, meaningful business analysis and financial perspective necessary for corporate decisions and strategic planning
- Assess the impact of key strategic transactional opportunities on the company’s financials
What personal characteristics do you need?
- Uncompromising integrity, honesty and transparency
- Dedication and commitment
- A strong sense of confidence combined with humility and a sense of humor
- Intellectual curiosity, strong conceptual thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- A focus on being a value-added partner to the business operational leaders
What experience do you need?
- Great amount of accounting experience, along with management experience in the insurance industry
- Thorough knowledge of NAIC statutory and GAAP accounting
- Public company experience preferred
- Familiarity with tax accounting is a plus
- Experience interacting with a board of directors, audit and investment committees, and other board-level executives
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance
- Certified Public Accountant
What's in it for you?
- The ability to grow, create and lead a world class finance team
- The ability to build and shape the entire accounting organization of a rapidly growing, disruptive technology startup
- The ability to invest in your future and ours via a competitive equity package (i.e. massive upside potential)
- And of course a competitive compensation and benefits package
But wait, there’s more:
As a people-first company, your health and well-being is a priority at Clearcover. While we do offer medical (and cover the vast majority of the premium), dental, vision (and cover 100% of those premiums) and 401K (we contribute 3% even if you contribute nothing), we’ve curated a stack of perks and benefits that stretch beyond the expected. With over half of our employees remote to the Chicago HQ office, we paved the way for flexible work locations and continue to offer this flexibility. Our people also have access to unlimited vacation, monthly mental health workshops, discounted gym memberships, equity in the company and an annual bonus program. Plus, if Clearcover is available in your state, you could have access to an employee discount on auto-insurance! Excited to learn more? Complete the application below!
Clearcover is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that welcomes and encourages all applicants to apply regardless of age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identify and/or expression, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital or parental status, ancestry, citizenship status, pregnancy or other reasons prohibited by law.