At Topstep, individuals fully own their roles and are charged with meaningfully driving results. We work fast and continuously optimize our products to reach more and more traders worldwide.
We are looking for a Head of People to join our leadership team, acting as a strategic and tactical business partner, providing counsel, and developing vision and roadmaps on all people, L&D, and culture related initiatives. This role is a great opportunity to join an existing, motivated, high-performing team, with lots of ideas and institutional knowledge, and build it into a cohesive department. This may seem like an ambitious hire for a 60-person company, but we believe our people are a strategic asset and our competitive differentiator. We know that if we devote resources and focus to this department now, the company, including our incredible team, will be better served in the short term and the long term.
We’re looking for an inclusive leader who thinks creatively, values emotional intelligence, and strives for constant improvement of their own self and others. This role will report directly to our COO, and has the potential to grow into our first Chief People Officer.
The successful candidate will also have a genuine enthusiasm for entrepreneurship and be able to excel in a fast-paced, high energy start-up environment.
Excited about this opportunity? Read on, keeping in mind that we strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds and identities to apply. Each new hire is an opportunity for us to bring in a different perspective, and we are always eager to further diversify our company. Topstep believes that diverse people and ideas result in better business, and we are committed to fostering an inclusive culture where you can thrive.
The Role, along with everything you’d expect
- You will be joining a talented and motivated team of two who are ready to collaborate with an experienced leader to make Topstep an even better place to work
- The role is also a great fit for candidates who have found their sweet spot in helping organizations scale both their headcount and culture, in order to achieve business goals
- You’ll be charged with building out the People Department formally, and setting the vision and strategy for everything from employee engagement to diversity and inclusion
- The Head of People will be the first true People Department advocate and representative on the Leadership Team and will work closely with other department heads as well as executives
- We hope that you want to be a thought leader within our company and the industry
- You will be asked to lead and manage the People team according to our company values. This includes monthly one-on-one meetings, mentorship, professional development goals, and overall performance toward achieving business goals
The Ideal Candidate
- First and foremost, a people-first approach. You share the mindset that people are the most important assets a company can have, and therefore the People Department is a strategic business asset. You will have a seat at the decision-making table and contribute strategically.
- 10-15+ years of experience in the HR/People field, with significant experience in each of recruiting, learning & development, HR, and DEI. We believe in the well-being of our team and this role, along with all members of the team, will model how we live that.
- 3-5+ years as a senior people leader, recruiting, leading, and developing a high-performing team, as well as experience in strategic planning and implementation
- Knowledge of Organizational Behavior as it relates to HR/People. It is imperative to understand our people and our culture, to ensure that we have the right people to enable growth. This role is not here solely to ensure compliance and risk management.
- Leadership of strategic thinkers, peers, and the strategic direction of the organization. We need someone who can create a vision - both organization-wide and for the department
- Change Management experience. You’ve successfully guided an organization or department through significant organizational change; we lose sleep over scaling our culture, especially in our new “Work from Anywhere” environment!
- Experience with and passion for Diversity and Inclusion initiatives, including guiding toward a company vision, managing a budget, and influencing important decisions
- Ready to lead our employee retention strategy, through learning and development, compensation philosophy, innovative benefits, and career laddering
- Ability to remain high level. We know it’s hard because this work is really fun, but we need someone who can truly stay out of the weeds to ensure that we are always progressing toward a more ambitious goal!
- Experience within a start-up environment preferred. We are a growth-stage company, but we run lean and move fast. As such, you will play a key role in guiding how to best leverage our resources and energy.
- Willing and eager to play an active role in recruiting a diverse team. We believe diverse people and ideas result in better business, and look to our leaders to help with our diversity efforts
- Competitive salary and bonus incentives
- 401(k) plus match, to help plan for your future
- Generous paid family leave, plus flexible ramp up period upon return, and extra PTO days
- Access to senior management and mentoring opportunities
- Monthly team Innovation Labs, which contribute to long term strategic decisions
- Vacation bonus, when you take off 5 consecutive days to fully clock out
- #TopstepTravel, a semi-regular raffle for luxury accommodations in a variety of cities
- Professional development budget, provided for continuing education, training, and workshops
- Work from Anywhere policy, to respond to an ever-changing work climate
- Flexible Schedule Options, including 4-day workweek and half day Friday schedules
- Employee Assistance Program, for when you need some professional support in your personal life
- Coming [back] Soon: Company parties and outings, happy hours and catered lunches, breakfast and snack bar
- Coming [back] Soon: Annual company-wide Step Up Day, a day spent giving back to our community
- Graceful Leave Policy
- Casual work environment and dress code
- Summer Friday (flexible) hours
- Opportunities to work from home
- Pre-tax spending accounts, for your dependent and health care needs plus transportation
- Paid time off (starting at 15 days, increasing annually), plus paid holidays, paid sick days, and paid volunteer hours
- Medical, dental, vision, life, long-term and short-term disability insurance
Is Topstep the place for you? If so, apply today! We look forward to hearing from you.
TopstepTrader is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, gender, age, disability, or any other basis protected under the law.
Please submit your professional resume, and more importantly a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and how you will approach this role. Because we want to read each and every application, please be sure your cover letter is specific, personal, and under one page in length. Thank you!