HR Business Partner
Crafty is seeking an HR Business Partner (HRBP) to build and execute on our People needs for the broader employee base. Based at our Chicago HQ, this role will also visit our Carol Stream warehouse; travel to other large markets (Bay Area, New York) will be in scope as needed.
Crafty’s People team is currently made up of two functions: (1) People Operations, and (2) Talent Acquisition. The HRBP is responsible for aligning business objectives to employee needs, and will be tasked with providing direct employee support across all departments, as well as creating people policy and framework in partnership with our external Legal counsel.
The HRBP will collaborate with our Director of People to meet the needs of our diverse employee base, which includes both exempt and non-exempt talent across the United States. We are searching for an individual who embodies our core values and is excited to partner cross-functionally on all things people-related!
Responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
Compliance: maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance; partners with our external Legal counsel as needed; provides HR policy guidance and interpretation.
Employee relations: manages and resolves all employee relations issues; conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations where necessary
Performance management: provides day-to-day performance management guidance to people managers (counseling, career development, performance plan options, etc); identifies training needs and evaluates their corresponding objectives and success
Misc: seen as a first point of contact and partner for team members across the organization for people-related questions and issues; works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention; develops contract terms for new hires, promotions and transfers, etc.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a high-growth startup, participate in many of Crafty’s people initiatives, and grow your career in People. This role has no direct supervisory responsibilities but will serve as a partner for the broader team. This person will report directly to the Director of People, who is based in Chicago, IL.
Who we are:
Crafty’s mission is to help companies craft better workplaces by providing the services and technology to deliver a modern, comprehensive food & beverage program for their employees, no matter where they work. After operating with a vertically integrated supply chain (i.e., directly fulfilling orders from Crafty-operated distribution centers) in Chicago and the Bay Area, our team launched a third party fulfillment model that has rapidly scaled our coverage into over 25 markets globally, in just a year’s time.
At Crafty, we have a diverse, high-powered team, comprised of folks in technology, supply chain operations, field operations, sales, account management, and more. Our workplace is dynamic, fast-paced, and just plain fun; we pride ourselves in having an amazing mix of humans who make up our team!
Who we are looking for:
- 3+ years of People experience in an HRBP or HR Generalist role, ideally in a growth, fast-paced environment
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines, including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee and union relations, diversity, performance management, and federal and state respective employment laws
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations, ordinances, and policies, particularly Illinois and California employment law
- Understanding of the employee lifecycle, and knowledge on how to problem solve around different components of it
- Ability to acquire a thorough understanding of Crafty’s structure, roles, qualifications, compensation practices, and administrative practices related to those factors
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential
- Experience working with HR tech (HRIS, ATS, performance management tools, etc), is a huge plus
- Deeply thoughtful and empathetic. You are constantly thinking of how we can support our team members holistically. When you propose a solution, you think through the implications it will have across all business functions and teammates and work with them to make it sustainable.
- Of high integrity and judgment. You’ll have to exercise good judgment and discretion at all times as it relates to confidential and sensitive information.
- Entrepreneurial minded. Building and rebuilding is part of what drives you. You are excited by creating processes and continuously improving them.
- Extraordinarily organized. Detail-orientation is an absolute must. You have tried-and-true methods in your arsenal for staying organized and on top of it all.
- Extremely hard working. We are a startup with the mentality that no job is too big or too small.
- Calm and collected in the line of fire. On a day where everything that could go wrong has gone wrong, you find a way to stay positive and promote that attitude across Crafty.
- Passionate about growth. We have a bright future ahead – which depends on our team’s spirit, morale, and work ethic.
Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.
You are considered fully vaccinated:
- 14 days after your dose of an accepted single-dose vaccine
- 14 days after your second dose of an accepted 2-dose series
- 14 days after you've received 2 doses of any "mix-and-match" combination of accepted COVID-19 vaccines administered at least 17 days apart.
If you do not meet these requirements, you are NOT considered fully vaccinated.
What we offer:
Our people mean everything to us. When you join Crafty, you’re joining a team of passionate, smart hooligans who work incredibly hard and know how to get things done. Building the structure to support our team as it continues to grow will have a tremendous impact in enabling our growth today and shaping the company that we become.
Our employees are joining our team, and we are proud to offer a compensation package that includes an option to join our Crafty healthcare plan to cover health, dental, and vision plans, 401k, paid time off, equipment certification courses, and parental leave. And, it goes without saying, but snacks, beverages, and fun Crafty events are a part of that!
Crafty provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without discriminating against race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.