Program Director, UChicago Careers in Computer Science at University of Chicago - Career Advancement
We are seeking a Program Director for a newly-created Careers in Computer Science program to help students prepare for success in technology, startups, entrepreneurship and other technical fields. The inaugural Program Director for UChicago Careers in Computer Science will collaborate with campus and employer partners to prepare students for internships, jobs, and graduate school placements by applying what they have learned in the classroom and building the skills they need to thrive in the competitive job market. Drawing on extensive industry experience, the Program Director will provide one-on-one career advising, participate in the development and execution of technical career-related programming and experiential activities, and interface with faculty, high-profile employers, parents and alumni to support careers in computer science.
As one of the top research Universities in the world, the University of Chicago offers unparalleled academic resources, a rigorous curriculum, and a community of scholars that extends far beyond the bounds of our campus. UChicago Career Advancement empowers UChicago undergraduates of all interests and backgrounds to apply their world-class education to a fulfilling career.
1) Develop and implement a cohesive strategy for student success in computer science careers through early engagement and ongoing support
2) Design and implement computer science-specific career programs and resources, drawing on deep industry expertise and connections
3) Organize and lead programs and workshops highlighting opportunities in computer science fields (e.g., hackathons, coordinating internships at top tech employers, overseeing technical interview workshops, planning and leading career exploration trips to local Chicago tech organizations and tech hubs around the world)
4) Connect students with research opportunities in computer science in both academia and industry
5) Provide high-quality career advising to undergraduate students and alumni through one-on-one career advising sessions
6) Provide a high level of customer service and support to employers who partner with UChicago Careers in Computer Science
7) Work closely with the Department of Computer Science and the Center for Data and Applied Computing to assess and improve industry awareness of our programs and students, to assess curriculum and training of students from the perspective of potential employers and to facilitate industrial engagement with those units
8) Develop and maintain relationships with campus partners and faculty, including the Department of Computer Science, the Center for Data and Applied Computing, the Quantum Exchange, and the MADD Center
9) Collaborate with campus partners and faculty to position students to be strong applicants to graduate school and leverage faculty resources assemble strong application materials
10) Assemble campus and industry resources to assist students in gaining experience with coding
11) Analyze placement and survey data to develop data-driven strategic initiatives
1) Ability to work evening hours and weekends.
2) Willingness and ability to travel
Education, Experience, and Certifications
Minimum requirements include a college or university degree in related field.
Minimum requirements include knowledge and skills developed through 5-7 years of work experience in a related job discipline.
1) Bachelor’s degree in a computer science or other quantitative STEM field.
1) Attuned to the technical recruitment process for a variety of computer science roles, including software engineering, data science, product management, and UI/UX design
2) Knowledge of tools and services including online employment sites, CRM systems and other resources for job seekers
3) Understanding of graduate education opportunities in Computer Science and related fields
4) Prior experience mentoring college-aged students
2) Cover Letter