Senior Director, Total Rewards & Executive Compensation at OppLoans
OppLoans is a rapidly growing Fintech company that helps credit-challenged consumers build a better financial path through accessible products and five-star customer service. As one of Chicago’s fastest-growing startups, we’ve made the Crain’s Business Chicago Fast 50 (#4 in 2019) and the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 (twice), and we’ve ranked in the top 10% of the Inc. 500 four years in a row!
OppLoans is a team of caring and inventive “Opptimists” with diverse perspectives and backgrounds. OppLoans employees approach every new challenge with an unparalleled ability to see what could be rather than settle for what is. We want people to be excited to come to work every morning and know they are a part of something great. That’s why we prize collaboration, collegiality, and letting the best ideas win the day.What you get to do:
As the Senior Director, Total Rewards & Executive Compensation, you will lead the design and execution of our Total Rewards strategy targeted at attracting, retaining and engaging talent in support of meeting both the short-term and long-term talent needs of the company. You will lead a specialized team focused on the daily operations of employee compensation, recognition, benefits, HR technology, and talent analytics. Equally important, you will be responsible for the daily management of activities associated with executive pay, programs and policies. You will also build an analytics function that enables us to leverage a diverse set of talent data to predict the needs of our workforce & business and adapt our talent strategy accordingly. Longer-term, you will drive the transition from private to public company compensation practices. You will report directly to the Chief People Officer.
- Advance the strategic design and execution of our Total Rewards Programs in line with our business needs, culture, and values including our pay philosophy, benefits enhancements, salary and incentive structures, pay budgets and equity analysis.
- Use knowledge of market conditions, peer compensation programs, industry trends, and competitive talent landscape to design tailored strategies for compensation across our job levels and departments.
- Conduct comprehensive analysis of current and potential executive compensation programs and manage the design, implementation, administration, maintenance, and reporting of all executive and equity compensation programs.
- Engage with partners across Finance, Legal and Controllership on accounting and regulatory aspects of executive compensation programs.
- Review the mix of benefits offered to employees and assess their effectiveness; make recommendations to vary offerings based on current best practices, cost, and utility of benefits to employees.
- Work with benefits providers on renewals or service bids, use experience, cost management, and plan design options; review vendors' performance and recommend changes to leadership.
- Build an outstanding talent analytics function using HR technology platforms and people & our data to provide analytical insights to business leaders and to influence key workforce and talent decisions.
- Lead Compensation Committee meetings to drive annual recommendations for executive compensation, equity programs and other analysis requested by the Committee.
- Longer-term, lead the preparation and management of essential elements of our annual proxy statement including Compensation Discussion & Analysis (CD&A) and compensation tables; support shareholder outreach efforts relating to Say-on-Pay and other HR or executive compensation-related proposals; and monitor policies and pay-for-performance methodologies of proxy advisory firms to shape our OppLoans executive compensation framework and practices.
- 10+ years of experience dedicated to the total rewards or compensation function in both public and private technology companies with 5+ years in a leadership capacity; experience working in a highly regulated industry preferred.
- Experience implementing best practices around incentive-based compensation strategies, including bonus plans and various equity-based LTI plans specifically in terms of transitioning from private to public company compensation practices.
- In-depth knowledge of Legal, Accounting, Financial, Tax, and Regulatory effects on executive compensation.
- Experience working and connecting with employees at all levels of the organization including senior leaders, the CEO and Board members.
- Ability to explain complex ideas in a simple, clear manner and skillfully speak to compensation philosophy and best practices.
- High level of proficiency in written work and analysis.
- Excellent judgment in dealing with sensitive materials, confidential information, and time-sensitive matters.
- Experience demonstrating resilience, perseverance, and influencing power regardless of the challenge.
- Ability to flex from strategic and long-term thinking to hands-on daily execution and project management.
OppLoans is committed to providing an exceptional employee experience that allows you to define your career and purpose with us. New hire “Opptimists” go through orientation, shadow programs, a new hire lunch with our CEO, Jared Kaplan, and you can participate in different company culture events focused on diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our onboarding team has designed programs to make you feel welcome and part of our team during your first year and beyond.
- Define the Mission (days 1-30): You will understand our company mission, values, and vision, and how your role at OppLoans plays a part in that.
- Define your Goals (months 1-3): You will be able to understand your role expectations and identify goals with your manager and mentor(s) to fulfill those expectations.
- Define your Belonging (months 3-6): You will understand OppLoans’ culture and have opportunities to engage with and impact that culture. Employee-led communities and programs, like our wellness program Project Opptimism, are offered to help with community connection both virtually and in-person.
- Define your Journey (6 months - 1 year): You will feel confident in your abilities to execute in your role and know the next step you will take to develop your career.
OppLoans offers a 401(k) matching program and paid vacation. Other benefits include medical benefits, including a free PPO medical option with BCBS for Employee-Only Plans, dental and vision coverage, and tuition reimbursement. To support your wellness, you receive a free gym membership at One Two Pru and a corporate discount on ClassPass packages. To get you to and from work, you can participate in our pre-tax commuter benefits program with CTA and Metra, park your bike in the One Two Pru bike storage room, and take advantage of discounted Divvy memberships. Dresscode is casual. Lunch is subsidized through Fooda and Sweetgreen, and healthy snacks and drinks are available all day at the office.
Our office is conveniently located in downtown Chicago with panoramic views of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan with rooftop access.
We do not discriminate based on identity - race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged/sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
OppLoans is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, OppLoans will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People team at [email protected].